Axiom-61 (M-Audio) not showing up in Mac Audio MIDI Setup

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
darrell
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Axiom-61 (M-Audio) not showing up in Mac Audio MIDI Setup

Post by darrell »

Hi all,

My Axiom-61 keyboard (M-Audio) is not showing up in Mac Audio MIDI Setup, so won't talk to DP. That is, the keyboard will show as 'new external device' in the MIDI Configuration Window, but M-Audio does not appear in the manufacturer pulldown menu.

Any ideas about what' happening?

DP 11.3 running on Sonoma 14.3.1

Thanks!
Darrell A.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Axiom-61 (M-Audio) not showing up in Mac Audio MIDI Setup

Post by James Steele »

Are you able to get MIDI into DP with it?

Not clear on it since I no longer own an Axiom but one thing that was commonly done is to create a new device in Apple MIDI Setup and name it Axiom and then connect its output to the input of the one that pops up automatically when the Axiom is connected via USB. Do the same and connect the input of the one you created to the output of the automatic USB one.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Although the manual states that it supports Core Audio, it also goes back to macOS 10.4. Core Audio has changed and not all keyboards still work.

I would find a known good USB 2 cable. If not sure, order up a printer USB "printer cable" as these support USB 2/1.1 only.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HC Markus has an Axiom and I know he is using it on his M1 Ultra Mac Studio without issue so hopefully he can chime in.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:18 am HC Markus has an Axiom and I know he is using it on his M1 Ultra Mac Studio without issue so hopefully he can chime in.
I have James' old Axiom 49.

I plugged it into a USB 2.0 powered hub with a USB cable and it worked perfectly with my Mac Studio and DP under Monterey and Ventura. I never looked at Audio/MIDI Setup.

That's a complete and fully detailed description of my connection experience.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
dfiorucci

Post by dfiorucci »

Have the Axiom 61 and yes you just have to create a new device for it and fill out the properties this is if you are using it via 5 pin MIDI don't think I ever hooked it up via USB however.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

darrell wrote: Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:39 pm Hi all,

My Axiom-61 keyboard (M-Audio) is not showing up in Mac Audio MIDI Setup, so won't talk to DP. That is, the keyboard will show as 'new external device' in the MIDI Configuration Window, but M-Audio does not appear in the manufacturer pulldown menu.

Any ideas about what' happening?

DP 11.3 running on Sonoma 14.3.1

Thanks!
Darrell A.
Look at my second post in this thread: https://motunation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=30997

It's from a long time ago for setting up the Axiom but it might be helpful. Especially the second post where I describe connecting the device that appears automatically via USB and a second device you create manually and then connect it up to the USB device. Here's a pic from the post:

hookup.png
hookup.png (114.71 KiB) Viewed 62 times