Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by gavspen »

To follow up, just got this....

Dear gavin,

Good news, the recently released macOS 14.4.1 Sonoma update from Apple restores compatibility with Audio Units plug‑ins safeguarded by PACE / iLok on all Apple silicon Macs.

I'm sure lots of you have got similar notices.

Yay! :)
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: 14.4.1

Post by James Steele »

gavspen wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:38 pm To follow up, just got this....

Dear gavin,

Good news, the recently released macOS 14.4.1 Sonoma update from Apple restores compatibility with Audio Units plug‑ins safeguarded by PACE / iLok on all Apple silicon Macs.

Yeah... did Universal Audio send that to you this morning? I got one from them. Looks like they're really on top of things since 14.4.1 was released at least a week or more ago. :D
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

James Steele wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 1:16 pm
gavspen wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 12:38 pm To follow up, just got this....

Dear gavin,

Yeah... did Universal Audio send that to you this morning? I got one from them. Looks like they're really on top of things since 14.4.1 was released at least a week or more ago. :D
It was? Haha. Yes, just today.

I think 14.4.1 only just showed up as an available update in System Settings though. For me, anyway.
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah... often times i've notice that an system update will be available but it will take some time before you see the notification on your Mac. If you go into the settings and click "Check for Update" (or whatever it's called) you will see the update prior to being notified by your Mac.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta 4, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

14.4.1 solved most OS level issues, but Kontakt 7 is still being a PITA on many systems, (mostly with dual monitors), as well as Guitar Rig and Komplete Kontrol.

iLok and USB hub issues with peripherals is solved for the most part.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

Greetings everyone

Thanks for this thread -- I'm interested to learn what the general mind & mood about upgraded OS's is now.

I requested opinions about bumping from OS 13 > 14 3 or 4 weeks ago, and at that point the responses were pretty uniformly (unicorn-ly?) "I wouldn't do that quite yet," so I've been hanging in with Ventura.

But I got that same email from UA this morning about 14.4.1, and from what I can see Ableton (which I also use in addition to DP) is claiming OS 14 compatibility for Live 12.

So... are folks here in the DP & associated plugins realm feeling more confident now about the moving to Sonoma?

Warm regards,
o-2k

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Ventura to Sonoma?

But why? I'm running pretty smoothly under Ventura, and don't see anything but more troubles under Sonoma. I use Kontakt a lot, and that alone is reason enough to hang tight at present.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Michael Stewart

Post by Michael Stewart »

I would hold off, there is still issues with Kontakt, which seems to be one of root issue for Kernel panics. I hope this will be resolved soon.
otalgia-2000

Post by otalgia-2000 »

HCMarkus wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:13 am Ventura to Sonoma?

But why? I'm running pretty smoothly under Ventura, and don't see anything but more troubles under Sonoma. I use Kontakt a lot, and that alone is reason enough to hang tight at present.
Michael Stewart wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 11:25 am I would hold off, there is still issues with Kontakt, which seems to be one of root issue for Kernel panics. I hope this will be resolved soon.
Thank you both very much for your insights.

I'm running smoothly under Ventura as well, and I sure don't want to tangle with the possibility of complicating that situation.

I don't use Kontakt much at the moment, but that's not to say I wouldn't if the opportunity arose.

As to the question "why," my concerns along these lines are generally to do with old-fashioned notions of of staying current.

However. the person who inspired that outlook in me also imbued me with a robust dread of upgrades, a view which he amplified in the context of relying a computer for anything more involved than crunching spreadsheets or surfing the web (not to denigrate those tasks, of course).

And I guess security updates are also in my thought-mix too, although one supposes that Ventura remains supported on those.

I understand that power-user folks sometimes adopt an approach of always "staying one OS behind" -- maybe that's the way to consider it.

Again, my thanks!

OS 13.2.1 // DP 11 // mac studio M1 Max 64 Gb RAM // UA Apollo x6 // Micro Lite // Falcon 2 | BFD3 |