Using VST2 and VST3 in the same project

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Westlyn
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Using VST2 and VST3 in the same project

Post by Westlyn »

I'm going to come at this from a different angle: During the boot sequence, I see MASVST3 Support and MASVST Support, but not MASVST2 Support.

I've got a bunch of new VST3's that I want to use, but it requires that I go into Preferences, etc. and change my primary VST.
I don't want to do that! I want to access either or both VST types in the same project. If I change my primary preference and open up another project, if that was built with VST2's and I changed to VST3 preference, all of the VST2 plug-ins come up as absent.

I direct my voice into the MOTU wilderness in hopes of hearing a call in response> Thank You!!

Jim Westlyn
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Using VST2 and VST3 in the same project

Post by mikehalloran »

VST is actually VST2. There was a VST(1) once but that went away so long ago that the terms are interchangeable.

If you look in the Settings(Preferences), you'll see that MOTU calls them VST2 correctly.

Now that Steinberg has depreciated VST2(aka VST), you will see fewer plug-ins and VIs offered in that format. Kontakt 7, for example, offers VST3 only (Windows) and VST3/AU (Mac) while Kontakt 6 and earlier still show VST2 available.
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 1.49.47 PM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-31 at 1.49.47 PM.png (199.38 KiB) Viewed 401 times
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Westlyn

Post by Westlyn »

Hey Mike:

That was a lot of stuff I didn't know!

My DAW is Digital Performer 11 and I'm noticing, with the graphic you sent, that both VST2 and VST3 are marked "Non-primary". I don't see where I have the option of not choosing one or the other as my primary. Maybe that's my problem.

How do I not choose a preference between VST2 and VST3?

Thanks for stepping up!

Jim Westlyn
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I think all you have to do is go into the preference window that Mike screenshot, and just check the version of the plugin you want to use. There may be no other way around this, and you may need to do that whenever you install new plugins, because DP will give priority to, and activate, the preferred format selected with the "Primary External Plug-In Format:" pop up menu at the bottom of the screenshot.

In most case, DP/Mac users will choose Audio Units as their primary format. There are exceptions. You need to use VST3 of Melodyne in order to have ARA support in DP. Also, if you use Softube Console 1, you need to also need to use VST3 to have full integration between the hardware controller and DP.

I do know in some cases there are people who may move projects between the Mac version of DP and the Windows version. In that case, I think those folks prefer VST2/VST3 as I guess in theory the correct plugins and settings will be recalled on either OS? At least that's the theory. I've never tried this in practice.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

Never been clear to me why there is a preference for primary plugin format. Whatever you choose, you can have the same plugins in other formats showing in the plugin chooser anyway.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Mix and match to your hearts content.

You are asked to set a primary choice the first time you set up DP but then you can go in and check/uncheck as you will.

The first time you check a non-primary type, the Verification manager will check everything of that type (on exit or next start up—your choice). Next time, it will verify only the plug or VI you choose.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

bayswater wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:26 pm Never been clear to me why there is a preference for primary plugin format. Whatever you choose, you can have the same plugins in other formats showing in the plugin chooser anyway.
I think it's just so that if you run an installer that installs multiple formats (AU, VST2, VST3, AAX for example) that DP will only activate your preferred format. (Obviously it can't support AAX.)

I used to routinely do a custom install of all my plugs and only install AU, but some years ago I got Pro Tools (just to mess around with) and then later Cubase (just to mess around with) and then starting installing all formats except VST2. Most of the developers who are up-to-date release installers that only have AU, VST3 and AAX. VST2 is pretty much a dead format. It was on borrowed time and Steinberg/Yamaha is now forcing the issue. I don't blame developers for dragging their feet, however. Everything I've read online indicates that VST3 developer documentation was very sketchy and it was really difficult for developers to sus out issues with that format because of that.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Westlyn

Post by Westlyn »

Thanks for all the great information. Now I think I know what's going on.

New Question: Do any of you use Universal Audio plug-ins? The DAW doesn't seem to recognize them, although they are listed among my plug-ins and passed the examination. If I add an Instrument track to a MIDI track, the UAD's aren't listed as a possible option.

I think I'm missing a step somewhere.

Thanks again,
Jim