Multiple Projects — Different Sample Rates

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
lydian91
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Multiple Projects — Different Sample Rates

Post by lydian91 »

I've been having a very strange issue lately where my VE Pro instances are each sitting around 20-25% CPU load at idle even when completely empty. Normally it would be like 3-5%. Because there are no instruments or plugins, the only thing that would result in a global CPU hit like this across all instances would be a sample rate or buffer size change.

I have been using the same settings with DP and VEP for months and this issue has very recently cropped up in the last couple of weeks. The only significant thing that has changed recently is that I've started working on a project that requires 96k, so I'm opening a variety of DP files—some at 96 and some at 48. The load is currently 20-25% per (empty and idle) instance at 48k and 30-35% at 96.

The VSL folks suggested rolling back to older versions. I tried that with both VEP and DP on a fresh user account, but no luck. I also tried with my Mac Studio's internal sound card which yielded even worse performance. This to me is an indication something has perhaps gone awry at the system level between my M4, DP, and Core Audio. I don't know for sure that sample rate is the root problem here, but I'm curious if anyone has encountered issues when working on projects that require different sample rates. I've never used anything other than 48.

Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a project, so I can't do an OS reinstall or anything drastic. I'm only having issues with DP and VEP, but it feels like switching sample rates in DP is somehow causing a problem with Core Audio.
Mac Studio M2 Ultra (192GB RAM) | macOS 13.5.2 | MOTU M4 | DP 11.3