Compressors?

Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Here's where to talk about preamps, cables, microphones, monitors, etc.
gavspen
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Compressors?

Post by gavspen »

I'm sure I've asked this before, but....

To those who are recording voice overs, what do you like to use for compression? I used to use a plug called the Master X3, from TC Powercore, but that went away a long time ago. (No support past, not sure, Big Sur?) For an idiot like me it was delightfully simple to use, with a gate, compressor and limiter, and a bunch of excellent presets for numbskulls without a clue.

Any thoughts as to what might be a suitable substitute? I'll still looking...

Thanks
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
stubbsonic

Re: Compressors?

Post by stubbsonic »

DP's Dynamic EQ is pretty great. You can set it to look ahead, so it can catch transients without sounding squishy. Multiband generally sounds more natural than single band (as you don't have the lows pulling down the highs, etc.).

I really like WaveArts MultiDynamics. It is super versatile, and crazily adjustable, but you can just use the presets and be fine.

https://wavearts.com/products/plugins/multidynamics-7
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I do a lot of VO and have been using use bx_limiter True Peak but intend to give bx_masterdesk PRO a try next time—same limiter but includes a compressor and other goodies..

Plugin Alliance has a large array of deals going on at any time.
https://www.plugin-alliance.com/deals.html

One of the most interesting is their Mega Subscription where you get to select any 3/6/10 for permanent licenses each year depending on your level — the rest are on Subscription.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... early.html

Using various deals and credits over the years, I have most of the permanent licenses I want from them and had let my subscription lapse. I'm unlikely to renew but never say never, right?

I don't have permanent licenses for bx_crispytuner and bx_masterdesk PRO so do I spend the $49 to get them or $149 to get both plus another license plus access to everything for a year?

Besides bx_limiter True Peak, I am also a big fan of bx_meter. If the updated bx_crispytuner works better on senior voices than anything else I have, it's a must get (AutoTune, Melodyne, ZTX and a couple others leave a lot to be desired for this use).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
gavspen

Post by gavspen »

bx_masterdesk PRO has 14 day free trial. Cant really go wrong there.

Plugin Alliance selection completely overwhelming.
Mac mini M1, 14.3.1, 16gigs RAM, 828 mk3 Hybrid, DP 11.23, Various VIs
ed belknap

Post by ed belknap »

I'm still old-school: I have a hardware compressor -- or two, in series, sometimes -- in between the mic pre and the A/D converter. But when I do use a plug-in for VO compression
stubbsonic wrote: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pmDP's Dynamic EQ is pretty great.
...it's usually ^^^this.