Motu Discovery Doesn't see 828es on Mac 5,1

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
dfiorucci
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Motu Discovery Doesn't see 828es on Mac 5,1

Post by dfiorucci »

Hi Everyone,
I have a Mac 5,1 dual Xeon 3.46ghz processor that is running the latest version of Monterey thru Open Core Legacy Patcher.
I just added a 828es as the primary interface replacing a 828mk3 firewire interface to my rig along with 2 8Pre firewires via ADAT and a Presonus 32R via AVB.
I have a Titan Ridge 2.0 flashed for Mac in slot 4 PCI and system report shows it with the 828es connected to it.
I also have a Sonnet Macfiver in PCI slot 2 and a AMD Radeon RX6800 in PCI slot 1.
Motu Discovery doesn't see the 828es even though the system report shows it connected.

I did the installation as follows
Install latest Motu Pro Audio Installer with no interfaces connected to the Mac.
After software installation I authorized the Motu drivers in the System Security Preferences
Then I rebooted the Mac.
Then I connected the 828es via Thunderbolt using a Cables Matters Thunderbolt 2 cable and an Apple Thunderbolt 3-2 adapter to the Gigabyte Titan Ridge 2.0.
Again system report showed the 828es connected to the Titan Ridge 2.0 but Motu discovery refused to see it.
I tried restarting the Mac with the 828es on but still the same thing.

The only way Motu discovery sees the 828es is if I connect it via USB.
Has anyone else had success with this configuration via Thunderbolt?
Thanks,
Dana
HCMarkus

Re: Motu Discovery Doesn't see 828es on Mac 5,1

Post by HCMarkus »

Have you tried connecting via Ethernet, too... that is both TB and Ethernet? That's how my 828ES is connected to my Mac Studio. Not sure it matters, but works for me.

OTOH, connecting via USB worked very well when I was running my 5,1 Mac Pro. The latency figures are really close to TB.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
dfiorucci

Post by dfiorucci »

Yes I've connected it via AVB using the McFiver card and that worked the only issue I had was connecting via Thunderbolt.
I have my 32R connected to the network port on the back of the 828es.
Was just hoping somebody had this working and could tell me what I'm doing wrong.
The Titan Ridge 2.0 flashed for Mac on eBay that I bought specifically listed the Motu 828es as being compatible but I still haven't received a response from them to the exact cabling that they used in their testing.
Thanks,
Dana
oneway

Post by oneway »

dfiorucci wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2024 7:21 pm Yes I've connected it via AVB using the McFiver card and that worked the only issue I had was connecting via Thunderbolt.
I have my 32R connected to the network port on the back of the 828es.
Was just hoping somebody had this working and could tell me what I'm doing wrong.
The Titan Ridge 2.0 flashed for Mac on eBay that I bought specifically listed the Motu 828es as being compatible but I still haven't received a response from them to the exact cabling that they used in their testing.
Thanks,
Dana
My last 828es was sent back because suddenly it only connected over AVB/ethernet. It wouldn't connect over Thunderbolt. Shortly after it stopped connecting at all.

It was a replacement for another unit (different serial number) which did the exact same thing. MOTU didn't give me details but said something was wrong with both of them.

Just something to keep in mind. I was able to determine this by popping it into a new MacBook Air via the Apple TB2->3 adapter and verifying that it wouldn't connect there either. Try to troubleshoot/follow up with MOTU while you are still in some kind of return window if possible.
dfiorucci

Post by dfiorucci »

I borrowed a friends Mac Studio this weekend and the 828es had no problem connecting to it via Thunderbolt using the same cable and Apple 3-2 adapter.
So it's definitely something to do with the Titan Ridge 2.0.
The guy I bought from on eBay had tested that exact config and has reached out to me so it's just a matter of finding time to follow up with him hopefully.
Spent the day trying to figure out the routing matrix seems that if I want to hear all of my inputs through the mains and headphones I have to use the 48 channel DSP mixer.
Only issue with that is I can't have all 58 of my inputs available.
Had to turn off one of the 8Pre's on ADAT B and turn off the SPIDF which I didn't use anyway to get 30 channels of my 32R available for mixing.
Seems that was the only way I could figure out how to get it to where I could hear those channels coming out of the mains and headphones at the same time.
I read the manual several times and it didn't really make sense.
Cue mix from my 828MK3 firewire was so much easier to work with.