828mk2 Firewire - Audio Console won't open on my Win10 Laptop

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
okdavid
Primary DAW OS: Windows

828mk2 Firewire - Audio Console won't open on my Win10 Laptop

Post by okdavid »

Hey, new guy here! I want to use an 828mk2 FW on my Win10 Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop. I downloaded: MOTU Audio Installer, Version: 66814, Rel Date: Oct. 28, 2015, and unpacked and installed it all (checked box for Thunderbolt/Firewire/USB during it). But when I choose the newly installed MOTU Audio Console from Windows Start menu, nothing happens. I also tried to dbl-click the .exe file direct from the Programs Folder, but same thing - nothing happens. I also tried going into the exe. file's Properties to put the Audio Console into "Compatibility mode" for Windows 8, but no difference. Also looked in Task Manager to see if any Motu software running: nope.

Any ideas, suggestions? Am I missing something obvious? Thank you for anything you can suggest.

More info...
- I subsequently tried plugging the 828mk2 firewire into my Dell XPS Thunderbolt port (with cable conversions, etc) and the laptop proceeded to give the new "unknown device" a generic assignment, which did nothing, and I've since removed.
- I also un-installed all the MOTU software and ran through an entire re-install: Still same problem, MOTU Audio Console won't run.
- Inside the Windows Program Files (X86)/MOTU folder, everything looks to be there, and in the parallel Program Files/MOTU folder I see drivers. It all looks good, I'm at a loss.
- I got Motu Audio Installer (drivers, etc) from this URL: https://motu.com/en-us/download/product/14/?page=5
CharlzS

Re: 828mk2 Firewire - Audio Console won't open on my Win10 Laptop

Post by CharlzS »

Not sure if this cable scenario works on Windows with the FW 828mkII. Does the TB2 to firewire adapter show up in the Thunderbolt Control Center and did you allow the adapter to connect? You'll need to see an IEEE 1394 adapter in the Device Manager to get the computer to recognize the 828.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
okdavid

Post by okdavid »

Thanks Charlz for your response. This is my first time actually using (trying to use) the Thunderbolt port on my Dell XPS 15. I'd read up quite a lot on adapting T3 to FW400 and I have ended up with a chain of several adapters, including the Apple T3 to T2, Apple T2 to FW (800), and then FW 800 to 400 which plugs into the back of the 828mk2.

In the various instructions I'd found online and in the 828 User Guide, the importance of First installing the Motu software drivers before connecting the FW cable was always mandatory, so that the Dell wouldn't assign it's own, generic or default drivers to the 828mk2, before the Motu Audio Console had a chance to setup its own. So, before I actually plugged the adapted T3 to FW cable into both the Dell and the Motu, I was trying to run the Motu Audio Console and get it configured. But as I said, the Audio Console program is not opening up.

Specifically regarding your post:
1) So the only "TB2 to firewire adapter" I have, is simply this chain of adapters I describe above. And I don't see/have a "Thunderbolt Control Center", afaik. When I do connect the chain of adapters now to both the 828 and the Dell, nothing happens.

2) In the laptop's device manager, when I "Scan for hardware changes", the only thing interesting that comes up is the MOTU Audio MIDI Extension which ended up getting installed yesterday when I was attempting all of this.

3) Still in the Dell's device manager, when Ordering Devices by "Type", under "Other devices" I found "it", listed as "Base System Device". It doesn't have any driver attached to it though and it wouldn't take any of the the drivers in the Motu folder I pointed it to, and in "properties" I see by yesterday's dates on it that I've "Configured (null)" 3 times and Disabled it 2 times. So I decided to disable it one more time and try to run the Audio Console. All of which I did, and nothing's changed! Uhgg...

So, it occurred to me that when I last installed the Motu Audio software, I had not ticked the check box to install the optional "PCI-424 Audio", which I assumed was only for when someone has that Motu product installed, which I don't. But "what could it hurt..." I say to myself, and these Dells run on PCI... so I installed it too...

...and now, when I click to launch the Audio Console, instead of absolutely nothing happening on the laptop, I do get the following pop-up box message:

"An error has occurred in the AudioWire driver: Internal AudioWire driver logic error (15)"

I think I'm gonna cry. :)
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

You don't need any of the other MOTU installer options - just firewire. You should probably uninstall/reinstall with just the FW drivers. Different manufacturers have different implementations of Thunderbolt. It's probably best to ask on the Dell forums for your machine how to install/configure TB port drivers, apps, permissions, etc. I run a HP desktop machine with TB3 and have the Apple adapters (TB3 --> TB2, TB2 --> FW). After giving permission in the Control Center for the FW adapter it shows up in the Device Manager as a 1394 port. I cannot tell you whether or not it works with an 828 or any other FW device because I don't have any FW devices left to try. Maybe someone over on the Dell support forums has a similar situation to yours.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
okdavid

Post by okdavid »

Thanks for your insight, I think you're probably sending me in the right direction and that's what I need to do. Appreciate you.
adry-mk2
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by adry-mk2 »

I also went crazy for months.....If you want to run Motu MK2 Fireware on Windows 10, you need a "Laptop" PCI Express Card/Fireware 400 adapter, "StarTech" brand, which uses the Texas Instrument chip.
Only in this way was I able to get the cuemix working.
So, Fireware 400/400 male cable on both sides and adapter on laptop.
For a desktop PC same card but type from PCI-E to Fireware 400. :roll: