UltraLite MKIII Hybrid and Win 10 drivers?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
GlynH
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

UltraLite MKIII Hybrid and Win 10 drivers?

Post by GlynH »

Hi there,

After many years I have unearthed my MOTU UltraLite MKIII Hybrid that I reboxed because the backlight had failed. I really should have returned it to be repaired under warranty and even had an RMA but life (death) got in the way and so here I am after 8 years returning to the fold!

Was the faulty backlight a common problem as I have seen a couple of threads/videos that show how to repair it as it's very difficult to even see if it is powered on let alone what is happening on the panel.

Backlight apart I have just plugged it into its PSU and USB port on an HP Spectre X360 and Windows recognised it and advised it was ready for use.

A quick look in Device Manager shows although it has been recognised that drivers are not installed.

A quick look on MOTU website shows MOTU Audio Installer (92178).exe that I have just downloaded.

Just checking before I run the .exe file that I;

a. have the correct driver package?
b. really need to install the drivers!

Guessing the answer to b. above is yes of course but Win 10 did at least recognise the device so just thought I'd double check before I ploughed on regardless.

Do I need to download/install any other packages from MOTU to have a fully functioning UltraLite MKIII Hybrid after all these years?

Looks like firmware v1.06 is in the device and checking the MOTU website it looks like v1.07 is the latest so not as far behind as it could have been I guess - contrary to a Mobotix D26 IPCCTV camera I just rediscovered that was 19 versions behind!

The firmware package did refer to (Firewire Type B) whatever that might mean but as it was the only one for the UltraLite MKIII Hybrid and was available for both Mac & PC then I guess its as safe as it can be to update?

I must say it is refreshing to discover it is still supported and (very possibly) functioning after all these years. Gives me a warm, fuzzy feeling that my other MOTU gear such as Microlite, MIDI Express 128 and AVB Switch might still be able to be used after all this time...unless that's wishful thinking!

I would also like to use these devices on my Mac so shall be posting a thread over there soon.

Talking of which I guess it's not possible to leave it connected to USB on the PC and Firewire on the Mac at the same time even though I would only be using one device at a time would it?

Now that would be really cool...leaving it connected to both and then choosing which one to use without faffing with cables & connections... :)

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
GlynH

Re: UltraLite MKIII Hybrid and Win 10 drivers?

Post by GlynH »

Not one known for his patience I decided I couldn't wait for one of you guys to hold my hand and give me peace of mind so I went ahead first with the firmware update from v1.06->1.07 following the instructions on the MOTU website of turning it on while holding the Page button until it shows Bootloader v1.03 and then following the on-screen prompts from the updater.

It started to update and then seemed to freeze with with Overall Update Progress showing a single blue progress segment and the window title bar displaying the dreaded 'Not Responding' which made my heart beat a little faster and I started kicking myself for not waiting for replies on here. :banghead:

Out of desperation & panic I clicked the window and another one appeared with the blue progress bar all blue and telling me 'The device's firmware was successfully completed. Turn off the device and then turn it on again to exit the firmware update mode.' :headbang:

Turning it on again briefly displayed 'Hybrid v1.07' and booted successfully so all good.

Bouyed by my recent success I thought I'd just go ahead and install the MOTU drivers so unplugging the device away I went.

All seemed to go well and so I plugged it back in and turned it on. And waited. No USB connected sound played and I couldn't see any sign of it in Device manager like I did before the driver install. Oh oh...anyway I went to the Windows defauly place and turned it off and on again and bingo! I heard the USB connected sound and I could see it under Other Devices in Device Manager once more. What a relief....

I opened up CueMix FX which recognised the device and MOTU Audio Console where I was able to change the sample rate from 44100 to 48000 which was reflected in the display so all seems good to go.

Just followed up in case some other uncertain poor soul stumbles across this with the same trepidation that I did so hopefully they won't worry as much I did!

I'm always the same with updating gear and went through the same loop with my Mobotix camera over the weekend emailing Technical Support with questions around upgrading firmware as mine was some 19 revisions behind but then overcome with curiouslty and ploughing ahead regardless to a satisfactory conclusion although it's not always a happy ending... :wink:

All I need to do now is get round to connecting an old Proteus 2000 to the MIDI interface to update its very old firmware adding many new features and then deciding how to reconfigure my office back into a studio!

Thanks for listening...

Kind regards,
-=Glyn=-
GlynH

Re: UltraLite MKIII Hybrid and Win 10 drivers?

Post by GlynH »

Apologies for seeming to repeat myself as I just posted this question in the Mac forum but the PC might be different but just following on from the above if I want to use my MicroLite and MIDI Express 128 do I have to download & install MOTU MIDI Installer or does the MOTU Audio Installer cover the MIDI side of things as the UltraLite MKIII has a couple of built-in MIDI ports?

Thanks & kind regards,
-=Glyn=-