Solid state logic UC1 and DP

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Torbin
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Solid state logic UC1 and DP

Post by Torbin »

Hello, I just got the SSL UC1 for my SSL plugins. It is an amazing controller. While using it with DP11 the track names do not appear on the UC1(they do on other DAWs) just a number. I know that DP is not officially supported with this controller. I wonder if there is anything I can change to make the track names show up on the UC1. Does anybody have a UC1 with DP? Any thoughts?
Sincerely,
Torbin
DP11.2, Mac OS 11.6, Apogee Ensemble thunderbolt. Started with Digital Performer in 2006.
Killahurts

Re: Solid state logic UC1 and DP

Post by Killahurts »

Hi Torbin,

I have contacted MOTU about this controller, and they seem to be willing to take a look at supporting it. I don't know how long that will take, but even in its crippled form, this is the greatest thing that has happened to mixing in this studio, in a long time. The speed at which I can carve out a mix with this is crazy.. harkens back to the old days of mixing on a real SSL, while paying by the hour! I've heard all the plugin emulations. This is as close to a 9000J Super Analogue as you can get with plugins.

There is currently no way to get the track names to publish in DP. This is both in the individual track plugins, and in the SSL 360 software (which otherwise works perfectly).

I would say that the best thing you could do is contact MOTU and tell them you want support for this, like I did. They added support for the excellent Console 1 by Softube, and I'm sure they will recognize the potential for this product as well.

The companion to the UC1 is the UF8 fader system. From what I understand, it works under SSL's version of the MCU control protocol, just like my console does (which works great with the new MCU upgrades in DP11), and also SSL Nucleus. So again, MOTU is nearly there already!
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Torbin

Post by Torbin »

Hi, I agree the plugins are awesome. The UC1 is what made me realize just great the plug ins are. Working with the UC1 is amazing. The one knob per a function is amazing. I love the UC1. I’m afraid no track names/master buss names on the uc1 is inconvenient. I have to rethink this. I’m glad to know I’m not alone.
Thank you for response.
Best,
Torbin
DP11.2, Mac OS 11.6, Apogee Ensemble thunderbolt. Started with Digital Performer in 2006.
Torbin

Post by Torbin »

Killahurts wrote: Sun Nov 21, 2021 5:40 pm Hi Torbin,

I have contacted MOTU about this controller, and they seem to be willing to take a look at supporting it. I don't know how long that will take, but even in its crippled form, this is the greatest thing that has happened to mixing in this studio, in a long time. The speed at which I can carve out a mix with this is crazy.. harkens back to the old days of mixing on a real SSL, while paying by the hour! I've heard all the plugin emulations. This is as close to a 9000J Super Analogue as you can get with plugins.

There is currently no way to get the track names to publish in DP. This is both in the individual track plugins, and in the SSL 360 software (which otherwise works perfectly).

I would say that the best thing you could do is contact MOTU and tell them you want support for this, like I did. They added support for the excellent Console 1 by Softube, and I'm sure they will recognize the potential for this product as well.

The companion to the UC1 is the UF8 fader system. From what I understand, it works under SSL's version of the MCU control protocol, just like my console does (which works great with the new MCU upgrades in DP11), and also SSL Nucleus. So again, MOTU is nearly there already!
I called MOTU to let them know about the UC1 as well.
Best,
Torbin
Torbin

Post by Torbin »

Hi, I just heard from Kyle at SSL regarding no track names on UC1 when using Digital Performer. As follows:
“Hi,

Thanks for reaching out.

Digital Performer is not a directly supported DAW and will not have full functionality.

Which DAWs does UC1 Support?

SSL UC1 Compatibility

Best regards,

Kyle

Audio Creation Products
Systems & Support Group
Solid State Logic”
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

I've been working with DP/SSL compatibility issues for about 10 years now. Solid State Logic have never given a single thought to Digital Performer. Most of the folks there do not even know of its existence, or think it's not a serious DAW. Or it could be that DP simply doesn't have a large enough user base for them to mess with it, who knows? On the other hand, everything SSL makes is fully compatible with Logic, if nothing else.. I remember years ago having to use Lexan overlay pictures to reprogram my console's MCU commands to work with DP, from the default Logic commands. If the UC1 is ever fully compatible with DP, it will likely be because MOTU has been given a way to program it in, not SSL supporting it.

I think for anyone else who is interested in this controller, I can give a brief explanation of how it works in three DAWs- DP11, Pro Tools and Logic. I use DP and Pro Tools. I have Logic, but I only use it for testing things (I don't use it for music production, because I don't understand it).

There is a difference in how the SSL plugin instances are ordered, depending on AU or VST. If AU is used, the plugins follow the track order of the sequence, top to bottom. If VST is used, they follow the order of instantiation.

In DP (AU), the track names do not register in the plugins, but it works as expected otherwise. The plugins can be used and accessed without the hardware controller, like standard plugins. When the hardware is present, it automatically sees the plugins and opening one or selecting one from multiple open ones, puts the controller focus on that instance. The 360 software gives an overview of all the instances, and works correctly except for the track names not publishing. Not having the track names means that the track scrolls on the UC1 and its little window are not of much use, unless you can remember that the snare is on 006, Kick is on 002, etc.

DP (VST 2,3) The plugins have wonky behavior with the VST version. For instance, the knobs on the plugins go crazy when trying to adjust an incremental, non-continuous parameter, like the compressor ratio. Also the ordering is changed, as I wrote above. That makes it even harder to navigate around without track names. They can easily be reordered in the 360 software, but with only numbers, not much good.

Pro Tools (VST3) Apparently, SSL didn't make an AAX version, so it uses VST. The main difference from DP is that all the track names show up. Also, Pro Tools has faster, easier ways of selecting/pulling up plugins, which makes it much more functional for this type of product. You can use the UC1 scroll knobs and window to select tracks by name, same in the 360 app. Because VST, the plugin order is by instantiation, which can be reordered in the 360 app, just like in DP.

Logic (AU), unsurprisingly offers the most support. All the names of tracks, busses and instruments display in all plugins, but there is a very key piece of extra functionality: Logic has a feature called plugin linking (or something like that). With that engaged on the SSL plugin, you can have one open instance of the channel strip plugin, that will change to display the instance on whatever track you select. I believe I read that Studio One has that same functionality. Very cool.

But as it is now, just making the names viewable in DP would go a long way towards proper integration.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Any chance you can do a quick video? I really want to buy and use this product (the UC1) but I don't really understand from what is written what the work flow actually looks like. I'm very confused. Maybe I'm just being an idiot. Sorry if so. If not video, any more clarification possible? Thanks.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
Torbin

Post by Torbin »

Killahurts wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 11:31 am I've been working with DP/SSL compatibility issues for about 10 years now. Solid State Logic have never given a single thought to Digital Performer. Most of the folks there do not even know of its existence, or think it's not a serious DAW. Or it could be that DP simply doesn't have a large enough user base for them to mess with it, who knows? On the other hand, everything SSL makes is fully compatible with Logic, if nothing else.. I remember years ago having to use Lexan overlay pictures to reprogram my console's MCU commands to work with DP, from the default Logic commands. If the UC1 is ever fully compatible with DP, it will likely be because MOTU has been given a way to program it in, not SSL supporting it.

I think for anyone else who is interested in this controller, I can give a brief explanation of how it works in three DAWs- DP11, Pro Tools and Logic. I use DP and Pro Tools. I have Logic, but I only use it for testing things (I don't use it for music production, because I don't understand it).

There is a difference in how the SSL plugin instances are ordered, depending on AU or VST. If AU is used, the plugins follow the track order of the sequence, top to bottom. If VST is used, they follow the order of instantiation.

In DP (AU), the track names do not register in the plugins, but it works as expected otherwise. The plugins can be used and accessed without the hardware controller, like standard plugins. When the hardware is present, it automatically sees the plugins and opening one or selecting one from multiple open ones, puts the controller focus on that instance. The 360 software gives an overview of all the instances, and works correctly except for the track names not publishing. Not having the track names means that the track scrolls on the UC1 and its little window are not of much use, unless you can remember that the snare is on 006, Kick is on 002, etc.

DP (VST 2,3) The plugins have wonky behavior with the VST version. For instance, the knobs on the plugins go crazy when trying to adjust an incremental, non-continuous parameter, like the compressor ratio. Also the ordering is changed, as I wrote above. That makes it even harder to navigate around without track names. They can easily be reordered in the 360 software, but with only numbers, not much good.

Pro Tools (VST3) Apparently, SSL didn't make an AAX version, so it uses VST. The main difference from DP is that all the track names show up. Also, Pro Tools has faster, easier ways of selecting/pulling up plugins, which makes it much more functional for this type of product. You can use the UC1 scroll knobs and window to select tracks by name, same in the 360 app. Because VST, the plugin order is by instantiation, which can be reordered in the 360 app, just like in DP.

Logic (AU), unsurprisingly offers the most support. All the names of tracks, busses and instruments display in all plugins, but there is a very key piece of extra functionality: Logic has a feature called plugin linking (or something like that). With that engaged on the SSL plugin, you can have one open instance of the channel strip plugin, that will change to display the instance on whatever track you select. I believe I read that Studio One has that same functionality. Very cool.

But as it is now, just making the names viewable in DP would go a long way towards proper integration.
Very well written. Thank you for your input. I did return the UC1, although begrudgingly. I loved it for what it is a great controller of two great sounding plugins. DP is the only DAW I have used for the last fifteen years. With out the track names populating on the UC1 it was a dealbreaker. If MOTU decides to figure this out for SSL, I will revisit a purchase.
Thanks again Killahurts.
Best,
Torbin
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Torbin wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:10 pmVery well written. Thank you for your input. I did return the UC1, although begrudgingly. I loved it for what it is a great controller of two great sounding plugins. DP is the only DAW I have used for the last fifteen years. With out the track names populating on the UC1 it was a dealbreaker. If MOTU decides to figure this out for SSL, I will revisit a purchase.
Thanks again Killahurts.
Best,
Torbin
Hey, fair enough Torbin. I had to think long and hard about keeping the UC1. I think my main attraction to it is, I was looking for a controller that forced me to use my ears instead of my eyes. I tried Softube's Console 1, which sounded awesome and is compatible with DP, but is a closed architecture and has to run under a "shell" to work. Unfortunately, it complicated my workflow. The UC1 is just a couple of normal (albeit expensive) plugins, and they are automatically addressed by the hardware unit, if present, in any DAW. The publishing of track names seems like a relatively easy thing for MOTU to incorporate, and they agreed in my correspondence with them. Still, it is a risk to hold on to this controller if your sole DAW is DP. You have to love what it does when you have the plugin actually pulled up.
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

dwilliams wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 3:44 pm Any chance you can do a quick video? I really want to buy and use this product (the UC1) but I don't really understand from what is written what the work flow actually looks like. I'm very confused. Maybe I'm just being an idiot. Sorry if so. If not video, any more clarification possible? Thanks.
I think the best video out there that clarifies what the UCM 1 does is this one, from our friends at Sweetwater:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMJt5Zy0gk8

Mitch reviews it in Pro Tools, which is closer as a workstation to DP than the others, IMO.

Probably no one is going to video review it in DP, until it actually works.
daveyboy

Post by daveyboy »

AS of DP 11.1 this still doesn't work, and after reading this thread, I assume it never will. Too bad. This stuff is well integrated in other DAWs, just not DP.
Dave
www.dbwproductions.com
10 core IMac w/128 gbs ram, DP11, Logic10x and PT 12, 4 room commercial studio (tuned by Bob Hodas) great for producers and composers!
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

I'm bumping this thread. I spoke about the UC1 in the Softube Console 1 Mk 3 thread, but i'll discuss it here now.

SSL just released the 360 Link plugin to host non-SSL plugins with SSL 360 and the UC1 (including UAD SSL, Brainworx SSL, Waves SSL, UAD API and any other plugin can be mapped as well). 360 Link can run as AU but hosts as VST3. I just did a preliminary test. Two things to say here. One, it works. You can host non-SSL plugins in SSL 360 and control them on the UC1. And two, and I'm kind of embarrassed to say this, when I added an SSL plugin (which I installed as AU) to the 360 session after loading some UAD plugins (hosted as VST3), 360 said using multiple formats causes problems. I never thought to run the SSL plugins as VST3. I switched them over to VST3 and now apparently, everything works. I can see the track names on the UC1 and track colors and selection follow along. I can select a track in DP or on my X-Touch and the UC1 and 360 jump to that track. I can turn the track selector on the UC1 and 360 and DP follow the selection.

I will do full test soon, but at this time, I would say if you run the SSL channel strips and bus compressor as VST3, the UC1 is fully functional in DP including track names transferring over (the main problem with the clunky AU implementation).
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* 15" Mid-2019 MBP 2.4 GHz 8-core i9, 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.5. TB: UA Apollo QuadFW w/TB card, Satellite OctoTB2 & OctoTB3, PreSonus Quantum 4848 TB2; USB 2.0: Ext USB3 drives, Fractal Audio Axe-Fx III , Revv Generator 120 MK3; USB 3.0: Stream Deck XL, M Audio Oxygen 49, Akai MPD218, Console One Mk3, SSL UC1, X-Touch U; HDMI: 34" 16:9 & 32" 2K Monitors
* DP 11.31
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

Reference photos attached.

I can see the selected track everywhere, ironically except in the DP mixer, and I can change the selected track anywhere and everything follows along.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 1.36.25 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 1.36.25 AM.png (480.96 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 1.36.25 AM (2).png
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 1.36.25 AM (2).png (666.21 KiB) Viewed 144 times
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 1.36.41 AM (2).png
Screenshot 2024-03-18 at 1.36.41 AM (2).png (1.05 MiB) Viewed 144 times
Last edited by dwilliams on Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* DP 11.31
dwilliams

Post by dwilliams »

And one more of the hardware
Attachments
20240318_013700.jpg
20240318_013700.jpg (5.07 MiB) Viewed 144 times
Krakadon
aka Dave Williams
Rock, metal, Camas, WA

* DP 11.31