Dragging MIDI Notes Up and Down

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Aaron Guidry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Dragging MIDI Notes Up and Down

Post by Aaron Guidry »

When dragging MIDI notes in the MIDI editor long distances, DP is placing the MIDI note much lower than the desired target.

For example, if I want to drag a MIDI note up from C1 to C6, I can grab the C1, scroll up to C6, release my mouse button, and the note drops down to a random note, such as an F4. Dragging MIDI notes short distances, say C1 to C2 works just fine. What's up with going the distance?
DP 11.31, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
HCMarkus

Re: Dragging MIDI Notes Up and Down

Post by HCMarkus »

I am experiencing similar issues in the SE. Tech note submitted to MOTU.

This video shows the problem:

https://cdn-data.motu.com/django_prod/t ... n%20SE.mov

In Sequence Editor Window, attempt to drag a MIDI Note to a new pitch beyond the frame of the visible pitches. Irregular results... sometimes it works properly and the note is moved to the intended pitch when the drag is stopped and mouse released. More often, the note either reverts back to the original pitch or, maddeningly, decides to adopt a new pitch somewhere between the original and intended pitches.

Problem seems consistent if a note is dragged beyond intended pitch (outside visible area), then back toward intended pitch. Fails every time for me.

Workaround is to reduce vertical size of notes displayed so all fit within the visible pitch area. As long as pitches are dragged within the visible area, all is well. Just don't try to drag to a pitch outside of the visible pitches,
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Keep me posted. This bug is driving me crazy!!
DP 11.31, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Looks like MOTU must know about this one now since the video is actually hosted on their site?
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Don't know how long it's been going on but expanding the window/shrinking the field to show a larger area has been my workaround for awhile.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

James Steele wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:38 am Looks like MOTU must know about this one now since the video is actually hosted on their site?
I just linked from my Support Ticket at MOTU.com, which I posted Friday and has yet to be reviewed.
Last edited by HCMarkus on Sun Apr 14, 2024 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Aaron Guidry wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:29 am Keep me posted. This bug is driving me crazy!!
It is a bother, for sure. You might want to submit a Support Ticket, too. Make that wheel squeak a little louder.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 12:59 pm
Aaron Guidry wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 10:29 am Keep me posted. This bug is driving me crazy!!
It is a bother, for sure. You might want to submit a Support Ticket, too. Make that wheel squeak a little louder.
MOTU is logging as a bug.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

I mostly use the key commands for this so It was unnoticed. Great they're logging it.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.