Beats Bugs?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Irimi Nage
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Beats Bugs?

Post by Irimi Nage »

I was working with DP’s beats functions a lot yesterday. There are some weird behaviors that come up when working with beats.

One is that the enter and return keys don’t work in the Find Beats, Copy Beats and New Soundbites from Beats windows. For me only clicking “Apply” sets the function into motion.

The other that would pop up is that New Soundbites from Beats will occasionally not produce any cuts to the audio, regardless of how it is set up. Sometimes clearing the existing beats and starting over will lead to it working correctly. But usually once it has surfaced, to get my cuts I have to cut manually with the cut tool. It’s not toooo bad since I can use the Snap to Beats function. But that’s still a time consuming workaround for the time saving feature.

I don’t work with Beats often, are there situations where New Soundbites from Beats would produce no cuts, even though the beats are present in a soundbite and laid out correctly? Idk maybe I’m just doing it wrong. When it works it seems to be straightforward enough, but then once in a while DP’s just like NOPE.

Thanks for any help!
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Beats Bugs?

Post by bayswater »

I don’t know how much I can help with these particular problems.

I’ve set up key command for Beats and other commands related to Tempo tracks. The defaults never made sense to me, and the commands I needed the most were not assigned.

I get a lot of freely recorded tracks from people who want backing instruments added so the first step it usually to add a Tempo track using the various Beats commands.

Usually, DP does a perfect beat detection that I can use to make the tempo map, but other times, with music that sounds just as obvious, I get total nonsense and have to Adjust every Beat. Sometimes it’s easier to just record a track with hihat samples and use that as a click track. I’ve never figure out what made the difference.

I note that Logic does pretty much the same thing with things someone has recorded in GarageBand. Usually works perfectly, then sometimes goes insane

The irony is that FreeStyle (from MOTU before the current millenium?) did a better job of consistently creating a usable tempo map.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8