I can't unselect some audio

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Walbertus
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

I can't unselect some audio

Post by Walbertus »

I was just doing some routine audio clip editing in the sequence editor and somehow it selected an entire track that I cannot escape from. The clip has a kind of lightened look and the cursor is now a lasso. It no longer responds to any key commands I can think of. What did I do? I don't want to lose the edits I was making before this happened.
DP11, OSX 10.13.6, Mac Pro
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: I can't unselect some audio

Post by HCMarkus »

You may have to Force Quit, but you may also be able to Save before you do so.

If Force Quit say DP is "not responding", and DP has been sitting for awhile without anything changing, you may have no other option.
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

Thanks for your suggestion. It was odd, It was only that track that was frozen. All other tracks work normally. But this one track was somehow locked I couldn't select it or do anything with it. And the track lock was not on either.
I was able to recover the most recent autosave before it happened so I didn't lose much work.
I was just checking to see if anyone knew if there was some kind of command that I accidentally did to cause it. I searched the manual without luck.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I have seen this—in fact, have caused this. I sure wish to hell I knew how. I work with one good hand and place the other on necessary key modifiers as needed. Sometimes, one hand or the other will slip and hit the wrong key causing this behavior. It doesn't show up in the Undo lists, unfortunately. Force-Quit and open the last Auto Save is the only remedy I know, too. Last time was about six weeks ago for me.

The good news is that, because something does cause this behavior, it's unlikely to reoccur. I wish I could say the same for myself.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Walbertus

Post by Walbertus »

mikehalloran wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2024 11:45 am I have seen this—in fact, have caused this. I sure wish to hell I knew how. I work with one good hand and place the other on necessary key modifiers as needed. Sometimes, one hand or the other will slip and hit the wrong key causing this behavior. It doesn't show up in the Undo lists, unfortunately. Force-Quit and open the last Auto Save is the only remedy I know, too. Last time was about six weeks ago for me.

The good news is that, because something does cause this behavior, it's unlikely to reoccur. I wish I could say the same for myself.
Yes, it happened just as you described. Good to know it's not just me.
Irimi Nage

Post by Irimi Nage »

I’ve had this, also with MIDI notes.

Something similar happens with the clip indicators in the audio input meters. The clip lights won’t turn off until DP is restarted. Been at least 10 years or more with that one!

Every once in a while I’ll get another, the floating text readout of say a plugin knob will remain on the screen after the click is released, even after the plugin window is closed. Restarting DP is the way out of that one as well.