the cleanest compressor you can recommend

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
philbrown
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

the cleanest compressor you can recommend

Post by philbrown »

I edit and master a LOT of spoken word and live seminar material. I'm forever on the lookout for the cleanest, least coloration compressor. The stuff I deal with runs between whisper and shout levels, so I do a ton of extreme automation, but still need judicious compression, including stacking fast and slow comps. In other words, all the color we're usually after mixing music, I kind of want the opposite of that.

FYI, I own a couple of dozen comps, probably more, and my go-to's are generally Native Instruments Solid Bus Comp and Waves C1. As far as my arsenal, I have a lot of PSP, Waves and UA plugs.

So I'm looking for suggestions for the cleanest compressor you know of - any brand really and it needs to be reasonably fast and have the usual controls, in other words not something like an LA2A or DBX 160 for example. If I'm lucky, I'll already own it.

Anyone doing dialog or spoken word mixing/mastering please chime in with any ideas.

Thanks!
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
daniel.sneed

Re: the cleanest compressor you can recommend

Post by daniel.sneed »

I've been there, Phil.
And never been really pleased with any compressor (hardware or software).

But I gave a (last) chance with Unisum, from Toneprojects.com
Ghee! A tedious amount of time to tweak and build my own presets (4 of them now).

Now, I'm totally pleased with this plug.
My dreams about compression have come true.
Single band compression, but very very deep configurable detector (speed, band, rms, peak, time, etc ...)
In simple words: to my ears this beast can achieve transparent compression.

In case you care, it's Bob Katz approved!
And as usual, YMMV.
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

daniel.sneed wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 3:18 pm I've been there, Phil.
And never been really pleased with any compressor (hardware or software).

But I gave a (last) chance with Unisum, from Toneprojects.com
Ghee! A tedious amount of time to tweak and build my own presets (4 of them now).

Now, I'm totally pleased with this plug.
My dreams about compression have come true.
Single band compression, but very very deep configurable detector (speed, band, rms, peak, time, etc ...)
In simple words: to my ears this beast can achieve transparent compression.

In case you care, it's Bob Katz approved!
And as usual, YMMV.
Thanks, Daniel, I will definitely check it out.
2020 iMac 27" 3.6GHz 10 core i9 • Mac OS 12.2.1 • DP 11.04 • UAD-8 Octo card • Midas M32R

Plugs: UAD•Slate•Scuffham•Flux IRCAM•NI Komplete•Klanghelm•Waves•Spectrasonics•Arturia•Soundtoys•Nomad Factory•PSP•Stillwell•Cytomic•Korg•Five12•GForce
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I am by no means an expert on compression, and tend to avoid it, or use it very sparingly.

I've used WaveArts MultiDynamics 7, because it is very very tweakable and has a dedicated clean mode that doesn't add tube, saturation, color, warmth, air, etc etc. It just does what you set it to do.

I think many digital compressors have a look-ahead option. And for voice over, that's incredibly helpful to have. because it will catch transients before or as they are happening rather than slightly after the fact. This makes the action very transparent. If you set the look-ahead to say 5 ms, and set the attack time to 1 or 2 ms, and the release to taste- it really does a splendid job. Having it work on multibands makes it more transparent in my opinion, and WA MD7 makes it relatively easy to adjust bands en masse or individually.

I'd also put in a plug for DP's Dynamic EQ-- which interestingly has separate look-ahead values for each band. I don't find it as enjoyable to use as the WaveArts, but it is clean.
Last edited by stubbsonic on Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

My go-to compressor is “The Glue” from Cytomic. It’s a model of the 80s vintage SSL buss compressor, but clean as a whistle.

I use it on spoken word recordings all the time, but it works just as good on my jazz guitar tracks. It’s my favorite any time I want transparent compression.

Trial and demo versions available here.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Tokyo Dawn Labs - Kotelnikov

https://www.tokyodawn.net/tdr-kotelnikov/

... and it's free!

There is a paid GE Edition, but the free version is excellent.
peace,
Frank Dickinson
90 East Productions
Our "lockdown" videos!
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

Hi Phil, have you tried the Sonnox Dynamics plugin? That one is my go-to for anything where I don't want to hear the compression.. very transparent, and has a 2nd stage limiter built in. Older plugin, but a great one.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!
I'll follow up on all of them.

I do own Cytomic "The Glue" and use it a lot on music tracks.
It's a great tool, but I wouldn't put it in the transparent category, myself.
I used to own some Wavearts and Sonnox way back -
geez it might have been OS9... lost through OS attrition.

Backstory: When I posted this I was editing and mastering audio from
a livestream broadcast. The guy recording had written me
about a new recorder - I didn't even ask 'cause I don't anything
about that gear, and honestly forgot all about it.
Anyway, I was really battling this track and then about
45 minutes in, he obviously turned OFF the internal compressor
and MYSTERY SOLVED. Just a brief note of explanation would have saved
me a bunch of time and hair pulling, but honestly I should have
figured it out sooner. Duh. :shake:

I bounce around but I ended up using a UA Neve 33609 on this.
Not really transparent, but the compression called be dialed in
to be pretty unobtrusive and not grabby and noticeable.

leigh

Post by leigh »

I'll put a word in for both the Metric Halo Channel Strip and their Multiband Compressor. They are part of the Production Bundle but I believe they can also be purchased separately. They are very transparent.

**Leigh
I don't care what you play. I care how you play.— Karl Berger

iMac Pro 3 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon W, 128GB RAM, Mac OS X 14.2, DP 11.3
VSL, VE Pro 7, MIR Pro 3D, UVI Falcon, EZ Keys, EZ Drummer, Ozone 9 Advanced, RX 8 Advanced, Dorico 5, Metric Halo ULN-8-3D mkiv, ULN-2-3D & 2882-3D interfaces, Novation Impulse-49, various mics
philbrown

Post by philbrown »

leigh wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2024 5:47 am I'll put a word in for both the Metric Halo Channel Strip and their Multiband Compressor. They are part of the Production Bundle but I believe they can also be purchased separately. They are very transparent.

**Leigh
More stuff I owned back in OS9. lol Thanks.