MIDI dropouts Micro Lite - Windows 11 & iCue

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
tomday
Primary DAW OS: Windows

MIDI dropouts Micro Lite - Windows 11 & iCue

Post by tomday »

Hey all
Just wanted to share a bug I discovered (although I don't think it's the fault of MOTU). I installed Ableton 12 recently and noticed my micro lite was no longer sending or recieving MIDI. The device was listed in Ableton but no MIDI data was being sent to my hardware. After a week of troubleshooting, I finally worked out the cause. It's the buggy iCue software that Corsair forces us to use with their products. It recently updated (around the same time I installed Ableton 12) and the latest version is blocking MIDI data (I have absolutely no idea why). Anyway, if you close iCue, your MIIDI data will be back.

Hope this saves someone from 2 weeks of head scratching

Tom
CharlzS

Re: MIDI dropouts Micro Lite - Windows 11 & iCue

Post by CharlzS »

I don't think this is a bug, It's the way Windows and developers handle MIDI. If I have an Arturia or Korg standalone VI running and I bring up DP, no MIDI is passed by the assigned controller to DP and without warning. Bitwig sees the controller but complains that the device isn't available for input. If I close the background VI and restart the DAW, all good. I don't know if there is such a thing as multi-client MIDI drivers for Windows like there is for audio.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
CharlzS

Re: MIDI dropouts Micro Lite - Windows 11 & iCue

Post by CharlzS »

Additional info - I had heard about Microsoft developing multi-client drivers.
Here's a link to the open source project: https://microsoft.github.io/MIDI/

Here's another developers answer to the MIDI issue: https://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software ... river.html

BTW, if you don't already know about Tobias Erichsen, he has a couple of very useful drivers that bring network and inter-application MIDI to Windows (rtpMIDI and loopMIDI).
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1