If you're using DP 11.31 with Console 1 DO NOT UPGRADE TO SONOMA!!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

If you're using DP 11.31 with Console 1 DO NOT UPGRADE TO SONOMA!!

Post by James Steele »

Let me try to save you from my own fate. If you're using Console 1 with DP 11.31 and you're on Ventura, do NOT upgrade to Sonoma. There's a weird issue that I and other users are experiencing where the RTA in the Console 1 On Screen Display app will start to get jumpy. It doesn't stop there. Controls will be sluggish. When you turn a knob on the hardware control surface (in my case I have the older Mk II unit) the knob on screen won't respond smoothly and appear stuck then jump to the next value. It's not just graphical... the audio change will be sluggish as well.

Now from what I and other users have ascertained the only workaround is to have ONLY THE TRACK OVERVIEW OPEN. No other windows can be open. The Console 1 will behave normally. You can open some of the other window with minimal impact... probably ones like Chunks, Big Counter, etc. are okay. The Sequence Editor has the worst impact of all. If the Sequence Editor window is open Console 1 will be sluggish. You can close it, and re-open it and then Console 1 will appear to be normal again, then gradually the RTA will start becoming less smooth and in a matter of maybe 30 seconds or so you'll be sluggish again until you close the Sequence Editor.

Now this is apparently due to some sort of graphic issue that was introduce in Sonoma. If you remember from DP 11.31's release notes there was a workaround described in there that alluded to this. Apparently it wasn't enough to fix this issue. And to make things more annoying, I can tell you that I also own Pro Tools 2024.3, Logic 10.8.1 and Cubase 13.0.20 and NONE OF THEM have this problem with Console 1. This is unique to DP.

I even updated to Sonoma 14.4 tonight hoping maybe Apple slipped in a fix for this and it's no go. Which means there's likely going to not be another macOS update for some time. So if this is a macOS bug and there's nothing MOTU or Softube can do, well then if you're on DP 11.31 and Sonoma like me and want to use Console 1, it probably means making a Window Set with only the Track Overview open and then invoking it any time you want to work with Console 1 and then invoking your normal one when you're done. I have a three monitor setup, so as you might imagine is a royal pain in the patootie.

Anyway.... you have been warned. Ugh...
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
nk_e

Re: If you're using DP 11.31 with Console 1 DO NOT UPGRADE TO SONOMA!!

Post by nk_e »

10 core iMacPro | 64 GB RAM | OS 12.6.7 | LOGIC PRO | STUDIO ONE 6 | CUBASE 12 | BITWIG 5 | DP 11 | MOTU Interfaces | Waaay Too Many Plug-ins |

http://www.gesslr.com

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Yeah I got that in my email last night. I immediately tested all my Liquid Sonics plugs and at least for me, they are working.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
waterstrum
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by waterstrum »

Liquid Sonics plugs working fine here on M2 Mac running OS 14.4
Hey James... Congrats on 21,000 posts! Wow!
All is well
npj

Post by npj »

Sorry to hear James. :(

I'm running Console 1 mk3 with DP11.31 on Sonoma 14.4. It's running fine except for a totally different bug where I lose settings for 4000E modules after saving twice(!)...

Although, I'm running a fresh system install... I'm also battling a really bad bug where I can't login to my user account. Password accepts but then freezes right after. It's happened three times over the past 2 months - on two different Macs! I've restored with the same user data each time... Multiple calls to Apple... Ended up with a senior Apple Support advisor, who had lots of ideas and things to try... but nothing worked... So now my logs are being sent to Engineering.

I want to blame Apple, but it could easily be 3rd party software... Hopefully they figure it out.

It seems many people are feeling computer pain right now, with this iLok bug too... Bad bugs around!

C1 being so sluggish for you... That sounds like torture...

Maybe upgrading to C1 mk3 would help? :lol: