Latest version of Amplitude 5 crashing DP

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
David Polich
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Latest version of Amplitude 5 crashing DP

Post by David Polich »

Hey gang..longitme no post. Anyway, I have a huge problem that just started after I updated to the latest version of Amplitude 5 (just this morning).

Any project that includes Amplitude 5 instances crashes on close. If I try to remove even one instance of AT5 from an insert, DP crashes. If I try to delete tracks that have AT5 on their inserts, DP crashes.

Crash logs indicate that it is Amplitude 5 that is likely causing the crashing. The thing is, every country and rock project I have includes Amplitude 5 instances.

Has anyone else encountered this? Btw, yes, I sent a support ticket to iK Multimedia.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
http://www.davepolich.com
mikehalloran

Re: Latest version of Amplitude 5 crashing DP

Post by mikehalloran »

I've not seen this but I noticed that New version 5.7.3 available shows up in the IK Project Manager. I think I'll hold off updating for right now. I have AmpliTube 5 MAX v2.

The only release notes I see are
Changes from version 5.7.2:

Fixed a bug for TONEX Amp not correctly recalling the cabinet state.
General reliability improvements.
There's a TONEX update to 1.6.0 in there, too with the following notes:
Changes from version 1.5.1:

Added MESA/Boogie official skins to support the MESA/Boogie Reference Signature Collection.
Re-introduced the ToneNET tab when using the Librarian, to allow dragging of ToneNET Tone Models to the Pedal.
Custom IR: added drag & drop for files or folders to the Custom IR window.
Custom IR: added browsing with the keyboard up/down arrows.
Custom IR: added automatic numbering of shortened names to avoid duplicates
Custom IR: fixed the Delete feature.
Right clicking on avatars on ToneNET allows searching by user on ToneNET (@nickname).
Sorting by "Date Added" now more efficient.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:30 pm I've not seen this but I noticed that New version 5.7.3 available shows up in the IK Project Manager. I think I'll hold off updating for right now. I have AmpliTube 5 MAX v2.

The only release notes I see are
Changes from version 5.7.2:

Fixed a bug for TONEX Amp not correctly recalling the cabinet state.
There's a TONEX update to 1.6.0 in there, too with the following notes:
Changes from version 1.5.1:

Added MESA/Boogie official skins to support the MESA/Boogie Reference Signature Collection.
Re-introduced the ToneNET tab when using the Librarian, to allow dragging of ToneNET Tone Models to the Pedal.
Custom IR: added drag & drop for files or folders to the Custom IR window.
Custom IR: added browsing with the keyboard up/down arrows.
Custom IR: added automatic numbering of shortened names to avoid duplicates
Custom IR: fixed the Delete feature.
Right clicking on avatars on ToneNET allows searching by user on ToneNET (@nickname).
Sorting by "Date Added" now more efficient.
I resolved the issue..sort of. Went back to version 5.7.1 of AT5. DP is crashing no more. I did try reverting to 5.7.2 but that did not fix the issues. So 5.7.1 is it for me now.

So here is my recommendation..do NOT update to 5.7.3. If 5.7.2 is working for you, awesome. If you are still on 5.7.1, do NOT update to 5.7.2. iK obviously did something with 5.7.3 (and likely 5.7.2) that affects only DP (naturally).

I don't care if AT 5 wasn't loading the new skins or cabs for the new Tonex Mesa Boogie collection. I just won't use that collection (in Tonex running inside of AT5) for now.

Note: I have updated to the latest version of Tonex and it is not causing any issues in DP.
2019 Mac Pro 8-core, 32GB RAM, Mac OS Ventura, MIDI Express 128, Apogee Duet 3, DP 11.2x, Waves, Slate , Izotope, UAD, Amplitube 5, Tonex, Spectrasonics, Native Instruments, Pianoteq, Soniccouture, Arturia, Amplesound, Acustica, Reason Objekt, Plasmonic, Vital, Cherry Audio, Toontrack, BFD, Yamaha Motif XF6, Yamaha Montage M6, Korg Kronos X61, Alesis Ion,Sequential Prophet 6, Sequential OB-6, Hammond XK5, Yamaha Disklavier MK 3 piano.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Here anyway Amplitube isn't crashing DP, but it's been jamming the cpu of projects for a while. Doesn't seem to matter what version. Waiting for a meaningful update.

Same thing with The MPC software, The MPC is more likely to crash DP here, Amplitube just uses a lot of CPU, unfortunately for me I use both all the time.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

Michael Canavan wrote: Mon Feb 19, 2024 7:19 pm Here anyway Amplitube isn't crashing DP, but it's been jamming the cpu of projects for a while. Doesn't seem to matter what version. Waiting for a meaningful update.

Same thing with The MPC software, The MPC is more likely to crash DP here, Amplitube just uses a lot of CPU, unfortunately for me I use both all the time.
Ok, after reading your post, I checked out how AT5 v. 5.7.3 (latest version) is running on my M1 MacBook Pro. And...it is running fine.

So it seems this problem is Intel Mac related. The plot "sickens"..
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ok... I have 5.7.1 on my 2012 MBP so I'm just going to leave that alone.

Upgrading my M2 Studio.

Thanks for the heads up.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Can confirm that the new version of Amplitube released the other day is working better on Apple Silicon.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
David Polich

Post by David Polich »

The newest version of Amplitude 5 (5.7.4) seems to be fine, no crashing issues.