Click and Drag in MIDI Editor - RESOLVED

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Arceo
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Click and Drag in MIDI Editor - RESOLVED

Post by Arceo »

Hi,
I’ve been stuck with DP 7.24 for more than a decade and few day ago I upgraded my rig and switched to DP11.
New features are awesome but lots of things are new to me and I’m still trying to adapt.

One thing that I find weird is the lasso selection on MIDI Editor.

I’ll try to explain myself: in TO and SE if you want to select all the items you touch while you’re “click and dragging” the pointer you must invoke the Lasso Tool holding “Control-Option”. If you don’t hold “Control-Option” you must mouse over the header of the items for them to be selected, otherwise they won’t be selected.

In DP 7.24 the MIDI Editor used to behave exactly like this whereas in DP 11 it does not. Now it’s like you’re holding “control-option”, and you select all the notes you mouse over without the need to mouse over the header of the note (see the attached little clip) . So much that if you hold “Control-Option” in ME the pointer does not change form (whereas it does in TO and SE).
Click and Drag ME.mov
(595.54 KiB) Downloaded 25 times
Well I’m so used to the old behaviour that I’m asking if there some kind of preference that I’m missing (and I tried hard to find it) to make it behave the old way. And if there’s not, well that’s another thing I’ll adapt to :)))

Thanks
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: Click and Drag in MIDI Editor

Post by CharlzS »

Preferences --> MIDI Editing --> Marquee Selection. I think that's it.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Arceo

Post by Arceo »

Well, seems like, for the second time in a row, you're my life saver!!! ;)

Thank you one more time, you made a happy camper out of me :)))
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Thanks, CharlzS! I didn't know that was there, either. That is a big relief!

Here's my perennial rant on this topic:
Often I'm trying to select a note that is several ticks early, so DP ignores my will and leaves it out of my clearly intentioned lassoing. I've long wished that MOTU would bring back the mode where lasso-select is ALWAYS grid-snap off, and that the grid-snap state only applies to dragging events.

For many years now it is like DP is constantly saying, "You really didn't mean to select that note. Let me get rid of that for you." over and over and over. And I say, "I really did, and I really know my way around a lasso. I'm a fast-mouse-ridin' and ropin' son-of-a-gun."

I prefer working with grid snap on, both to prevent unintended horizontal movement, but also because I want to move unquantized notes to their new position relative to the beat/bar. So I now have to ALWAYS hold down command when I select, and always release it to drag. May seem minor but always having to click a modifier to lasso select is not an insignificant

Rant mode paused.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'll mark this RESOLVED too. :)
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!