Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11

Post by James Steele »

Mantronics wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 9:42 am Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes immediately my DP 11 either in AU or VST mode.
When I say Crashes means that DP disappear without any message.
Some of you had or have the same problem?
Are you talking about the SE versions or the full versions? All the updated latest version AUs of Padshop 2.2.0, Groove Agent 5.2.0, and Halion 7.0.20 are working for me.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
greg328

Post by greg328 »

James, must be because you’re on Sonoma. All the latest HALion and Groove Agent plugs-both full and SE, are crashing DP on my Ventura system.

I hesitate updating to Sonoma because lots of my 3rd party plug manufacturers warn against it. Plus I’m in the midst of a 20-song project and can’t risk disaster. So I guess I’m in a bit of purgatory until it’s safe to go Sonoma.

My workaround, should I need to use HALion, is to export a guide temp mix mp3 from DP, import into Logic, create a new HALion track, produce needed part, export that new part as a WAV, bring it back into my DP session and VIOLA! I’ve got my HALion part!

Wonky- but it’ll have to suffice for now-

I do have VE Pro however- perhaps I’ll try that approach and see if I can load HALion into DP that way-
Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

greg328 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:17 am James, must be because you’re on Sonoma.
Hmmm... could be because of that. I don't know if there's enough info to be sure of that. I can't remember if they worked on Ventura or not but maybe someone else could chime in that's on Ventura.

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
db4663
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by db4663 »

Hi. I have to start by expressing my gratitude you’re spending time on this, James. I am not an active poster, but surely am an active beneficiary of your commitment to this community for a long time. On behalf of a lot of people thank you, thank you thank you!

I did not realize groove agent five had updated to 5.2.0. I was running 5.1.20. Apparently Steinberg released an update in January so I went through the upgrade.

I am on Ventura (13.5.2), so was hopeful this little tweak might fix things. I’m sorry to report No Go; Immediate crash again.

This is making me wonder if Sonoma might really be the difference. It’s hard to make the leap if I have a stable system now with VEP7 functioning smoothly. Perhaps one of us stuck in “Steinberg Limbo” will make the jump to Sonoma and confirm it’s true their VI’s can function completely inside DP again.

DB.
greg328

Post by greg328 »

James Steele wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:59 am
greg328 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 2:17 am James, must be because you’re on Sonoma.
Hmmm... could be because of that. I don't know if there's enough info to be sure of that. I can't remember if they worked on Ventura or not but maybe someone else could chime in that's on Ventura.
James--it seems that the empirical evidence suggests that is is absolutely a fault of OS 13 Ventura not being compatible with Steinberg plugs--if indeed they work on your OS 14 Sonoma system.

Aren't there several people on here claiming incompatibility with Steinberg plugs on Ventura? You are experiencing no problems under Sonoma, so it seems you have solved the mystery!

Maybe I'm missing something? If others have no issues under Ventura, and some have issues under Sonoma, well that points to another 3rd party incompatibility.

Maybe Steinberg has optimized their latest plugs to work under Sonoma, thereby breaking them under older Ventura systems.

I waited over a week to hear back from Steinberg/Yamaha for a solution, after sending them multiple crash logs and long online chats. They offered no resolution, so they refunded my purchase price of a HALion library (Medieval Fiddle and Nickylharp).

At some point I'll be upgrading to Sonoma, and we shall see if HALion opens OK under that OS. It seems it will!

Greg
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

The only reason I suggested it is the size of the “sample.” I may likely be Ventura.

CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

On my MB Air Sonoma 14.4, Halion 7.0.20 still crashes DP 11.31 instantly when creating an instrument track either mono or stereo.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
greg328

Post by greg328 »

Right on-time will tell.

When I upgrade to Sonoma I’ll report my findings here. Might be a while!
Greg.

greg328

Post by greg328 »

CharlzS wrote:On my MB Air Sonoma 14.4, Halion 7.0.20 still crashes DP 11.31 instantly when creating an instrument track either mono or stereo.
Oh well, there ya go! Steinberg hates MOTU, what else could it be??!!!

I kid, I kid!!

CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

greg328 wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:53 am Oh well, there ya go! Steinberg hates MOTU, what else could it be??!!!

I kid, I kid!!
This certainly doesn't help, but the current versions of Steinberg plugs all work in DP 11.xx on Windows. The VEP route is not all that bad. I have to use it in Windows to run most of the Korg Legacy plugs (which BTW all work fine on the Mac). It's always something.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
James Steele
Site Administrator

Steinberg PADSHOP and GROOVE AGENT crashes my DP 11

Post by James Steele »

CharlzS wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2024 10:51 am On my MB Air Sonoma 14.4, Halion 7.0.20 still crashes DP 11.31 instantly when creating an instrument track either mono or stereo.
Well an update. I was doing okay with the Steinberg stuff when I was on Sonoma 14.4.1... I went to 14.5 Public Beta a few days ago hoping to solve another issue, and now all my Steinberg AU plugs are major crash puppies in DP 11.31. Bummer. They are okay in Logic.