Auto-Hear in MIDI Edit Window

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
midilance
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Auto-Hear in MIDI Edit Window

Post by midilance »

What if you were in the MIDI Window tweaking some notes or multiple notes from multiple tracks and it automatically knew the sound source attributed to the notes you were editing so that you could hear them as you edited them?
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
stubbsonic

Re: Auto-Hear in MIDI Edit Window

Post by stubbsonic »

If I'm understanding you, that's how it works here.

I'm in the MIDI editor, and I have multiple tracks selected on the side bar, and I'm seeing multiple tracks' notes appearing on the grid. If I click on any of them, I hear them playing their respective sounds. Maybe I'm not understanding your context.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
midilance

Post by midilance »

That would be one benefit of it.
Mac Studio m2 Max // OS 14.3.1 // DP 11.3.1 // MotU Ultralite mk4 // Komplete Ultimate 14 // Arturia V Collection 9 // Korg Collection // Stylus RMX 1.8 // Omnisphere 2.6.2c // Scarbee Keys and Basses // T-Racks 5 // Amplitube 5 // BFD3 // Blue3 // PolyM //
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

I'm saying that this IS how it works for me NOW.

Does it not work that way for you? And is that what you want? If so, there are a couple things you can do to get it working. Post back and I offer some pointers. For one thing, in each VI (plugin) window's mini menu there's "Run this instance in realtime" or words to that effect. Make sure that's checked.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

midilance

Post by midilance »

Yes. I'd love to hear it. I think it used to work for me in the past but now, for some reason, it doesn't.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

In addition to enabling "Run this instance in realtime" the other important setting is the little "Speaker" icon in the Transport window. It's just to the right of the old-timey metronome icon. With those two things done, check to see if it works.

You should hear single notes when you select, and all play-enabled MIDI when you drag the scrub bar. Some sounds have long attacks, so you may have to click & hold to sustain the note long enough to hear it.

James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

You can also just record enable the track and it should also put the VI in real-time mode.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
SMS

Post by SMS »

You can also option-spacebar to play currently selected data. Sometimes this is a little glitchy for me with VIs. Sometimes this doesn't work unless the track is record-enabled. I need to check if "real time" is enabled- that might be it.
MOTU user since Performer™ 1.22 on 128k floppy
DP 11.23
MacBook Pro 14” 2023 M2 max 12 core
64 Gb RAM
4TB SSD
OS 14.0 Sonoma
UAD Apollo 8
828 mk3 Hybrid
MIDI Express XT