Stuttering Freezing Audio with new M6, New System, and Windows 11 - RESOLVED

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
chefelf
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Stuttering Freezing Audio with new M6, New System, and Windows 11 - RESOLVED

Post by chefelf »

Hello,

I've just built a new computer for my studio and set up my M6. When I play any audio (e.g. using VLC to play an mp3, YouTube video, etc.) it will cut out for a second or two randomly. I've tried switching to the onboard motherboard audio and it works with no issues.

I've followed all the steps here and I am still experiencing the same issues: https://motu.com/techsupport/technotes/ ... dows-audio

I've made sure I have the most up to date M6 drivers and firmware. Additionally I've made sure that Windows 11 is 100% up to date, and my chipset drivers are the most recent as well as flashing my BIOS with the most up to date firmware.

I've also put in a support ticket with MOTU and tried calling but cannot get through so I was hoping someone here may know the issue.

Some info on my new system:

MSI MAG B650 TOMAHAWK WIFI AM5 AMD B650 SATA 6Gb/s DDR5 Ryzen 7000 ATX Motherboard
AMD Ryzen 9 7900X - 12-Core 4.7 GHz - Socket AM5 - 170W Desktop Processor (100-100000589WOF)
G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo RGB Series 64GB (2 x 32GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000 (PC5 48000)
Western Digital WD_BLACK SN770 M.2 2280 2TB PCIe Gen4 16GT/s, up to 4 Lanes Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) WDS200T3X0E
ASRock Phantom Gaming D Radeon RX 6600 XT 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 4.0 Video Card RX6600XT

One additional note. I saw that after I set it up it said to use the USB-C to USB-C connector if you motherboard supported it. I had set up with USB-C to USB-A. I tried switching to USB-C and still the same issue.

Thanks again for any help anyone could give!
jotunbjorn

Re: Stuttering Freezing Audio with new M6, New System, and Windows 11

Post by jotunbjorn »

Try disabling CPU core parking. Here's how:
https://www.lautenbacher.io/en/general/ ... e-parking/
If that doesn't work, disable XCHI Hand-Off and legacy usb support from BIOS.
chefelf

Re: Stuttering Freezing Audio with new M6, New System, and Windows 11

Post by chefelf »

Thanks so much for the reply! I finally just got it working after hearing back from MOTU. I did two of the things you mentioned with no luck.

Eventually I tried every USB slot on my motherboard until one worked. Turns out it didn't work on USB 2.0 but on 3.1 it works perfectly. The way my ports were labeled was unclear.\

Thanks again for responding!