MOTU M2 on MacBook Pro M1 issues

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
kal800
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU M2 on MacBook Pro M1 issues

Post by kal800 »

Hello,

I've been having problems with my M2 interface since I bought the device. I was suspecting that this is due to my computer being loaded with other stuff, so erased it completely and now I've got clean and fresh installation of Mac OS Sonoma on MacBook Pro with Apple Silicon M1 Pro and 16 Gigs od RAM. After reinstallation I have just installed MOTU M Series System Extensions, granted access to run it in the background, then installed Logic Pro DAW. Here what I have done:

Connected MOTU M2 using original Apple USB-C<->USB-C cable. The device was discovered - I have created the project pointed M2 as input and output device, plugged in the guitar and headphones. I can hear the guitar, but it is not possible to play - the sound is cracked, latency is huge (1-2 seconds), a lot of digital noise, etc.
I've connected multiport hub to my computer with USB-A 3.0 ports and connected an interface. It is working, however there is a lot of noise - clicking and popping, and after a minute or so, latency appears - when I pull the string, I can hear it a fraction of second later - again - serious playing is not possible, regardless how I setup buffer size.

On my second computer - Mac Studio with M1 Ultra and 32 GB it is a bit better - it is possible to play with USB-C and the noise is not as annoying, but still existing. Does it mean that I need such powerful platform to send a single guitar signal through?

Please advise, much appreciated.

Kal800
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MOTU M2 on MacBook Pro M1 issues

Post by mikehalloran »

Did you use the cable supplied with the M2?

Have you tried it over Core Audio without the drivers?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Re: MOTU M2 on MacBook Pro M1 issues

Post by CharlzS »

I'm using an M4 on an AS MacBook Air with Axiom and TH-U and it all works great. Something to try - plug the guitar into IN 1, set the input gain around 10 o'clock and push the Mon button (should be lit blue). Set the Input Monitor Mix all the way left to Input and turn the headphones output up. Is the audio you're hearing from the left side phones clean? If yes, the M4 itself is most likely not the issue, though it could be a bad cable or connector. What software are you using for your guitar and what's the buffer set at? Highly distorted and laggy audio can be caused by too low a buffer setting. 16, 32, 64 might cause things to choke if working inside a DAW. For the guitar sims I run at 64 without issue so far and no uncomfortable latency.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1