Dead Mac Pro

Macintosh software/hardware discussion and troubleshooting

Moderator: James Steele

HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Dead Mac Pro

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:56 am Thanks again, HCM. On reflection (and after half a dozen other futile attempts to get my Mac Pro revived), I decided to order a Mac Studio.
I believe you are going to be very pleased with your decision. Hope it goes exceedingly smoothly for you!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

HCMarkus wrote: I believe you are going to be very pleased with your decision. Hope it goes exceedingly smoothly for you!
Thanks!

And—BTW—did you go HDMI or DisplayPort for your monitor? I tried HDMI with my new monitor on my Mac Pro and it looked like crap, so I went with DP. I’ll need to get my hands on a different kind of cable to run DP with the Mac Studio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 9:56 amOn reflection (and after half a dozen other futile attempts to get my Mac Pro revived), I decided to order a Mac Studio.
I know it's a pain, Rick... I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You are in store for a treat though. Apple Silicon is just a whole new break through experience.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Rick Cornish wrote: Thu Dec 14, 2023 3:29 pm And—BTW—did you go HDMI or DisplayPort for your monitor? I tried HDMI with my new monitor on my Mac Pro and it looked like crap, so I went with DP. I’ll need to get my hands on a different kind of cable to run DP with the Mac Studio.
I use a 40" 4k TV as my main display, connected via HDMI using the built-in Mac Studio HDMI port. I have a second smaller 16:10display connected via a USBc to Display Port adaptor. The TV looks good to me, but I am not a graphics pro. I have set the TV to Game Mode and 4:4:4 Chroma.

Buy a cable from a place to which it can be returned if you are concerned.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

Sounds like the power supply died. I had that happen on an 09 MP. '
Here's hoping all your plugins migrated to Apple Silicon, and they aren't "updated" for Apple Silicon.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

Michael Canavan wrote:Sounds like the power supply died. I had that happen on an 09 MP. '
Here's hoping all your plugins migrated to Apple Silicon, and they aren't "updated" for Apple Silicon.
Thanks, Michael.

I actually got fresh downloads of all my plugs and checked each one in PlugInfo. Right now, I’m only running two plugs under Rosetta and they’re both meters, so i don’t believe they affect the signal chain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net