Bounce Out WAV with Timecode embedded

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Aaron Guidry
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bounce Out WAV with Timecode embedded

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Hello All,

How do I bounce out a WAV file, but also include timecode information embedded within that WAV?

Thanks!
DP 11.31, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
mikehalloran

Re: Bounce Out WAV with Timecode embedded

Post by mikehalloran »

Aaron Guidry wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:45 pm Hello All,

How do I bounce out a WAV file, but also include timecode information embedded within that WAV?

Thanks!
Hey, Aaron,

MIDI Time Code (MTC) or SMPTE Timecode (aka Linear or LTC)?

The DP User Guide does show how to use MTC and SMPTE where they use both time code and timecode (searchable PDFs are my friend). DP cannot generate LTC without a MOTU interface that supports SMPTE and not all older interfaces support all resolutions (my MTP AV and 828mkII) but the current ones that support SMPTE do (MIDI Express XT, micro express USB, 828es etc.).

.https://cdn-data.motu.com/manuals/softw ... +Guide.pdf

Normally, you generate the timecode and output that to a normal audio channel.

There are apps that let you embed LTC into WAV or BWAV but I've never been asked to do so.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Aaron Guidry

Post by Aaron Guidry »

Thanks, Mike.

I ended up just putting audio on the right and timecode on the left. Seemed to work for what I needed. But your advice is excellent moving forward. Thanks again.

Aaron
DP 11.31, Mac Studio M2 Ultra, 128GB Memory, Sonoma 14.3.1
Digiuser

Post by Digiuser »

Aaron Guidry wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:45 pm Hello All,

Thanks!
You simply need to select the BWF Wav format when bouncing your mix. BWF wav files have the timecode location of where you bounced the file from such that when opened in another DAW or video editing platform, it can then snap to the timecode location that you had it located at.