Plugin Examination/Scan - Exclude Folder Location

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Pablo13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Plugin Examination/Scan - Exclude Folder Location

Post by Pablo13 »

I had to perform a clean installation of my MacOS and therefore re-install Performer Lite (11). Prior to doing this, I moved all my plugins onto an external SSD as part of my backup routine. I have yet to put them back onto my Macbook Pro as I had previously experienced an issue where an unidentified plugin was causing Performer Lite to permanently freeze after opening a project which contained the offending plugin(s). When this happened I always had to force PL to quit. I was never able to open/access the project.

So I would like to know if it is possible to copy the plugins back onto my Macbook into a folder which I can exclude from the examination/scan PL carries out when the application is opened?

Over time, I would then move each required plugin into a folder location that would be included in the examination/scan process and would then be able to identify which plugin had been causing the project freezing issue.

I appreciate I could do this by reintroducing each plugin by moving it directly from the SSD into a folder location that would be examined/scanned but in workflow terms, this requires the SSD to be inserted/removed over and over. I'm just wondering if I can make this task slightly less onerous if possible.

Or maybe there's another way to achieve what I want to do that I'm not aware of?
bayswater

Re: Plugin Examination/Scan - Exclude Folder Location

Post by bayswater »

The first thing that occurs to me is that if you did a new macOS installation, you would have removed files that plugins use. Rather than just move the plugins back into their original folders, you’d have to reinstall many of them.

Figuring our which plugin causes your problem: make a folder called something like “unused”, after the plugins are properly installed. Drag half of your plugins into that. See if your project works. If not, you know the problem is in the half that is left in place. Drag half of the plugins remaining in the unused folder, and try again. Repeat this a few times and you’ll have narrowed it down to one of two plugins (e.g. 8 steps will test 512 plugins).
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The basic answer to your question is No. Plug-ins must be in the correct folders for any app to access them. Being in the correct location triggers the verification process. There is no workaround.

You can re-run the installers as Bays suggests or install them manually. Since you have an unknown problem, I recommend using the installers —quite likely that, if the plugin is obsolete, so is the installer.

Otherwise, if copying manually, use the old 50/50 method. Copy half. If the project doesn't open, delete 50% of what you installed and try again and so on. If the project does open, try the other half and go from there.

Another way is to install everything. From the Startup screen, go to Settings and de-select the plug-ins you suspect (or all). After the [roject is open, you can re-enable them individually or in groups. After doing this, you will have the option of re-verifying immediately or the next time that PL starts.
Attachments
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.03.06 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 11.03.06 AM.png (207.21 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Last edited by mikehalloran on Wed Feb 07, 2024 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

The puzzling thing is when a plug passes Verification but causes a project to freeze. That is unusual but can happen..

To see if the issue is a plug-in problem, start PL in Safe Mode by holding the Option key, then selecting Safe. When the project opens, select OK. This will disable all plug-ins. If the project still freezes, the issue is something else.
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 10.30.54 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 10.30.54 AM.png (1.15 MiB) Viewed 558 times
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 10.31.40 AM.png
Screenshot 2024-02-07 at 10.31.40 AM.png (117.89 KiB) Viewed 558 times
Quit without Save and restart PL. If you can now get the project open, you can right-click on individual plug-ins in the Mixer or Track windows and select None to disable them. If you do not Save before closing, everything will revert.

PL Mixer.png
PL Mixer.png (189.52 KiB) Viewed 558 times
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Pablo13

Post by Pablo13 »

Thank you both, I'll give your suggestions a go. Your advice and detailed guidance is very much appreciated.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Let me correct an oversight. While you can copy the plugs into their correct folders—and they will go through verification—this does not affect licensing.

The installers will install the support files in Library/Application Support that the licenses need for the plug-ins to work. Run those installers.
Pablo13

Post by Pablo13 »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 9:01 pm Let me correct an oversight. While you can copy the plugs into their correct folders—and they will go through verification—this does not affect licensing.

The installers will install the support files in Library/Application Support that the licenses need for the plug-ins to work. Run those installers.
Sure, thanks for that.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

To add to this, the solution I've used forever backed up by other users etc. is to create new folders directly in your root/Library/Plug-Ins folder labeled Components (Disabled), VST (Disabled) etc. These folders can be used to drag plugins into from your VST, AU, VST 3 folders etc. and your DAW will not see them.

I have a copy of AudioFinder and they do this automaitcally, but in general I've done this for decades now as a way to troubleshoot which plugin is crashing DP etc. using the 50% method Mike mentioned.
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

Michael Canavan wrote:To add to this, the solution I've used forever backed up by other users etc. is to create new folders directly in your root/Library/Plug-Ins folder labeled Components (Disabled), VST (Disabled) etc. These folders can be used to drag plugins into from your VST, AU, VST 3 folders etc. and your DAW will not see them.
+1
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
Pablo13

Post by Pablo13 »

Michael Canavan wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 1:24 pm To add to this, the solution I've used forever backed up by other users etc. is to create new folders directly in your root/Library/Plug-Ins folder labeled Components (Disabled), VST (Disabled) etc. These folders can be used to drag plugins into from your VST, AU, VST 3 folders etc. and your DAW will not see them.

I have a copy of AudioFinder and they do this automaitcally, but in general I've done this for decades now as a way to troubleshoot which plugin is crashing DP etc. using the 50% method Mike mentioned.
Thank you, this is very much what I was looking for in my OP.

All the responses have been helpful and informative for someone (like me) who is still on a learning curve. Thanks again for your input.