CueMix and Fire Wire drivers not found in downloads

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
oortone
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

CueMix and Fire Wire drivers not found in downloads

Post by oortone »

I'm puzzled. According to the MOTU Faq, drivers for old interfaces can be found here:http://www.motu.com/techsupport/technotes/driverlog.

However, selecting my interface (828 mk3 FW) I can only find firmware, manual and some TouchOSC stuff, not CueMix or driver (Motu Audio Setup). Note also that the link above, copied from the Faq, automatically redirects to https://motu.com/en-us/download/.

Did they forget to provide the other software for the interface on the new pages... :shock:
oortone

Re: CueMix and Fire Wire drivers not found in downloads

Post by oortone »

I found it by using a search engine instead:
https://motu.com/en-us/download/product ... pe=driver

:?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

To answer your question, only supported interfaces list the current drivers. The 828mk3 Hybrid is a supported interface; the 828mk3 and earlier versions are not. This was a business decision made by MOTU and there are many threads about that on these pages with most of us disagreeing on the wisdom of that decision. No matter, it is what it is. As we are a Users Group and not affiliated with MOTU, we can tell you this even when MOTU Support will not.

Anyway, the MOTU Audio Installer is what you need as you've found out and the 828mk3 Hybrid Downloads page is where you'll find the latest drivers. Other drivers such as the MOTU Pro Audio Installer will not work.

There is no separate CueMix download as that is built into the hardware and the GUI is accessed through the driver. Likewise, the latest manual, found on the same page, will have the up to date info. Click on VIEW ALL DOWNLOADS to access older drivers.

A couple things: a) although the only real difference between your unit and the Hybrid is that the H connects to both USB 2 and FireWire, the Firmware is not the same so don't bother if MOTU releases updates. That's ok, those of us with 828s and 828mkIIs are still able to connect over the latest Win11 and macOS Sonoma. b) If you are on Apple Silicon and booting from an external drive, MOTU Audio Installer will not work due to certain .kxt extensions that Apple does not allow to load—there is no workaround so install on the System drive only.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
oortone

Post by oortone »

Thanks, this was obviously for an old mac with an old macOS, no silicon in sight. 8)

They provide a link with downloads to the old mk3 FW, but not all downloads though their faq says so. Firmware, manual but not audio installer. Still available in what's probably an older version of the homepage though.

Seems a bit messy, but now I've downloaded all drivers in case I bump into some other old mac in need.