DP 11 and Mac Studio Ultra underperforming?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to understand something: I have a session in DP 11 that is now crackling and maxed out with a latest plugin addition, yet, my Mac seems to be only using a portion of the computers' cores? I am using a utility called Menu Meters to see the read and write activity of all the cores. I have many cores not showing really much activity, and only the first 4-6 show a strong activity. There is very little happening on the second half off all of my cores that I can see.

I do have a few tracks that have a lot of heavy-hitting plugins on them:6-10 in a row. I think I remember something about each tracks' plugin row was using a single processor, or something like that? It seems like DP is just using a few cores and not spreading the load over the rest of all of my cores? Is this a thing to be aware of? How do you mix, then?

Again, it is odd to hear stuttering and glitching after a processor intensive plugin is added to the session (that was working fine just before that...), and see only half of the actual computer cores being used!

All plugins and DP are up to date. All are AS ARM versions.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Thank you.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP 11 and Mac Studio Ultra underperforming?

Post by mikehalloran »

Read this and test to see if it might be a plug-in issue. A lot of these are.

viewtopic.php?p=608447&hilit=distortion#p608447
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Chandrasekar
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by Chandrasekar »

You might be overloading one core in which too much audio is processed.
May be you should Try
processing the audio in two separate tracks.
Say.. 3 plugins in one track send the audio to another track with the other 3 plugins, so more cores are used in the heavy lifting..-Just guessing this might work.
or increase the buffer size.

Regards.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

Chandrasekar wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 9:16 pm You might be overloading one core in which too much audio is processed.
+1. Bounce those bad boys.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
sayatnova
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by sayatnova »

Thank you, Everyone, for the replies.

The buffer is already the highest it can go: 2048...

I think it is just overloading a processor core, then, since DP will return to normal once I removed the last plugin that choked it.
I guess this could be checked by adding that same plugin to another track that has no plugins, and see if DP still chokes?

So, if it is this, how do I know which tracks' plugins are overloading the system? Is there a meter for plugin combined CPU loads on each track?

I guess DP does not know to spread the load to different cores like a UAD Satelite?

Asking to learn. Thank you.
http://www.bfdmusic.com
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 gigs RAM, OSX 12.7.3, DP 11.3, UAD2 thunderbolt satellite octo, Apogee Symphony IO MK2 TB
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

sayatnova wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:19 pm Thank you, Everyone, for the replies.

The buffer is already the highest it can go: 2048...

I think it is just overloading a processor core, then, since DP will return to normal once I removed the last plugin that choked it.
I guess this could be checked by adding that same plugin to another track that has no plugins, and see if DP still chokes?

So, if it is this, how do I know which tracks' plugins are overloading the system? Is there a meter for plugin combined CPU loads on each track?

I guess DP does not know to spread the load to different cores like a UAD Satelite?

Asking to learn. Thank you.
I answered that question in another thread where I show you how to test it. I linked to it in my earlier post.

You should also have Apple's Activity Monitor up. The top window shows combined single core performance only so 400% on a 16 core machine is really 25% overall — as you will see on the bottom window.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
greg328

Post by greg328 »

I’m having similar issues, same set up, same Mac and DP version. I had a very fast woodwind run on an instance of Musio VI.

I had a 16th note run in an up-tempo session only using one loaded instrument, and it was maxing out the Mac, slowing down the tempo drastically and distorting the audio output, while clipping the processor meter. At the highest buffer setting.

I turned off every other channel, and disabled all other plug-ins, even the master fader. Just had the one Musio instance, active (routed to a hardware output) and the associated MIDI track. The machine could not handle that short 16th note run.

So, I changed plans and simply pulled that track off of my Yamaha Montage M8x-a hardware sound source.

It worked perfectly. The sound quality wasn’t quite the same as the Musio woodwind instrument, but it sufficed.

The Mac ultra could not handle the virtual instrument load of that fast run at that quick tempo- it was brought it to its knees. Even at the largest buffer setting.

So wondering if I can do anything to improve that situation. I need to try that again with my activity monitor meters visible.

I assume with everything else turned off in the session that Mac would know how to spread that load across the entire processor core group. One should never assume I guess!

Greg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mac Studio Ultra, 64 GIG RAM, Apollo Quad, OS 13.4.1 Ventura
DP 11.22, Yamaha Motif XS8, Novation MoroderNova, UAD Apollo and FX plugs, Lots of PLAY/OPUS libraries, Ivory 2, lots of Arturia titles, all 4 Spectrasonics titles, NI Komplete 13, BFD2-3, Addictive Drums 2, MachFive 3, Pianoteq 6, lots of UVI Workstation titles, All 5 MusicLab guitars-RealGuitar, RealStrat, RealLesPaulCustom, RealRickenbacker and RealEight.