Full resolution Videos playing back BLACK since DP 11.3 on Monterey, 2023 trash can Mac.

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
toodamnhip
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Full resolution Videos playing back BLACK since DP 11.3 on Monterey, 2023 trash can Mac.

Post by toodamnhip »

Wow it's been a long time...Been off playing straight ahead jazz the last couple years, but seem to be rounding back into the record world again...maybe lol

I'd like to know if anyone else if having imported videos play back BLACK in DP 11.3, running Monterey 12.7.2

If I lower the resolution of an iPhone video down from full Rez, it will show in DP, so it seems to be some sort of intolerance with full Rez iPhone videos, which are generally 1920x1080. I KNOW it is a NEW bug because older projects , when opened, now show black video when they DID work before. The same problem happens in DP 10 so I am guessing a recent minor update to Monterey killed DPs videos capabilities. But Id like to see if any users here are on the same OS and have experienced this? The workaround is to work in a lower Rez video than the original until ready to bounce final audio, then, import the FULL Rez videos for the bounce. Though the full Rez video plays black inside DP, it renders and plays fine outside of DP. Weird problem, I got with tech support online and sent them a file...nothing has come of it and, of course, they had a newer computer and OS so could not reproduce the problem. Anyway, hope all you old timers have been well here in MOTU land...;) :woohoo: :woohoo:

D
Mac Pro (Late 2013
2.7 GHz 12-Core Intel Xeon E5
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
MOTU 8pre, MTP AV, 828 mkII
Tons of VIS and plug ins. SSD hard drives etc
HCMarkus

Re: Full resolution Videos playing back BLACK since DP 11.3 on Monterey, 2023 trash can Mac.

Post by HCMarkus »

No words of advice I the subject, but nice to see you here, TDH!
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
mikehalloran

Re: Full resolution Videos playing back BLACK since DP 11.3 on Monterey, 2023 trash can Mac.

Post by mikehalloran »

Welcome back!

To be clear — do these videos play ok in QuickTime without DP? What happens if you export a copy with a different resolution through the Export as… menu?

One of my clients only sends me iPhone videos and I regularly record my wife's community orchestra performances on my iPhone (was a 13 Pro, now a 15 Pro Max). They play fine in QuickTime. However, when I load these into Adobe Premiere Elements, the app never likes them (I forget the exact error msg) and wants to convert on import. I let this happen and I never get grief from DP or QuickTime after I do.

I just received a Zoom Q2N-4K a couple days ago and will be using that at my wife's next concert. Got a screaming deal on a used unit that included the optional battery pack and mic stand adapter on Reverb.

I'm tired of setting up a separate recorder (no decent plug-in mic for the USC-C iPhones yet) and sound quality is not a paramount concern for this orchestra whose average age… let's just say it's the local Senior Center and I'll leave it there. Anyway, I'll use the iPhone for stills, fill in and cutaway shots (was using my iPod Touch 7) while leaving the Zoom to capture the wide shot and audio. I may also do the first edit in TwistedWave before opening in Premiere Elements. Since there's no pay, I'm hoping that will save me time and will post a brief comparison after the next concert this Spring.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

mikehalloran wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:35 am Welcome back!

To be clear — do these videos play ok in QuickTime without DP? What happens if you export a copy with a different resolution through the Export as… menu?
Thanks brotha, Yes they playback ok in QuickTime without DP. I saw your advice on getting a different recorder etc, but that's too much work for the task at hand. It is clear that something has changed though, because older files that worked before, now do not.
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13
toodamnhip

Post by toodamnhip »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:47 am No words of advice I the subject, but nice to see you here, TDH!
Thank you my man
Mac Pro (Late 2013
64 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
Mojave
DP 10.13