Sustain Pedal (cc64) and Editing

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Sustain Pedal (cc64) and Editing

Post by Killahurts »

Hi everyone,

I'm editing a solo MIDI piano for timing. I found out from here months ago, the awesome trick of "grow selection to end/beginning", where it selects everything either before or after the note for editing- e.g. I could make more or less time between passages.

The performance includes a sustain pedal that is utilizing half-pedaling, i.e. not a simple switch, but continuous data. As it is, I can't do any of the aforementioned note edit selections, and have it also select the pedal data. It becomes a real tedious affair, because I have to shift click and select the pedal data every time, and make sure I have all the little cc dots I need to move selected, so it will move to the exact position relative to the moved notes.

Is there a way to have the CC data window lock to the upper window and follow the note timing edits?
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
HCMarkus

Re: Sustain Pedal (cc64) and Editing

Post by HCMarkus »

If you perform the selection in the Tracks Window, all data is selected. Can you zoom in and make your selection there? You can use the Sequence Editor Window to confirm you got exactly what you need.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

You can select MIDI notes by double-clicking with the I-Beam tool. The selection will be as long as the note and should include all the underlying data.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
Killahurts

Post by Killahurts »

CharlzS wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 10:24 am You can select MIDI notes by double-clicking with the I-Beam tool. The selection will be as long as the note and should include all the underlying data.
Thanks for this! I thought it didn't really apply to my situation, because I'm selecting multiple notes, and also the sustain pedal cc is outside the range of some of them.. BUT

I discovered that the I-Beam tool, which I've never used before, is exactly the solution I was looking for! I can use it to select multiple notes, but then go beyond those to the sustain release, for example. And, I can do the reverse, select down in the cc area, and drag to whatever notes. Apparently, the I-Beam tool is a range tool, and selects all data in the track, as you said.

Very cool.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.