No MOTU MIDI timepiece in MIDI studio...

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
OctoUser
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Re: No MOTU MIDI timepiece in MIDI studio...

Post by OctoUser »

Thank you Mike. Much appreciated! Let's see when you see the V-mark as in victory in my next post. Best to you and thanks again. /Boris
OctoUser

Post by OctoUser »

V-sign for Victory! Finally I got my two MTP AV working under Sonoma. Was it Sonoma 14.4.1 that did the trick? Or was it that I disconnected every singel cable from my Mac Studio Max (2022) and upgraded to Sonoma from Ventura? Restarted with all cables inserted again... All this are very familiar to me when it comes to MOTU and their lack of interest in updating their drivers. It works now and I'm happy with that. No more MOTU will ever be in my studio again. Sorry to say.

The last driver v91217 for MIDI Express 128 is dated May 17, 2022, This driver works with MTP AV. I've one MTP AV USB and one MTP AV serial with Net cable. All 16 MIDI channels shows up in Clockworks.

//Boris

Skärmavbild 2024-04-15 kl. 16.51.54.png
Skärmavbild 2024-04-15 kl. 16.51.54.png (165.59 KiB) Viewed 158 times
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

OctoUser wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:46 am V-sign for Victory! Finally I got my two MTP AV working under Sonoma. Was it Sonoma 14.4.1 that did the trick?.

The last driver v91217 for MIDI Express 128 is dated May 17, 2022, This driver works with MTP AV
. I've one MTP AV USB and one MTP AV serial with Net cable. All 16 MIDI channels shows up in Clockworks.
Glad you got it working. Many of us have.

The driver is not the issue. The installer is. Apple keeps changing the goalposts.

The key to installing the MOTU MIDI driver is to remove any conflicting files first—including all MOTU Audio drivers and other MIDI drivers. Once you have MIDI working, the other drivers can be reinstalled.

It would be nice if MOTU would post this in a tech bulletin. There are a few threads here that have this info.

It would also be nice if MOTU would list the current drivers that let the MTP AV USB still work but they’ve made a business decision not to support hardware that was discontinued over 15 years ago. BTW, that MTP needs to have firmware 2.0.1 and USB controller 1.34 chips—the last of those were sold in 2012.

Try getting support from Apple for a 15 year old Mac and let us know how that works out. That is what you are demanding of MOTU.

Hey, you got it working (as have I and others around here). Time to declare victory as we have. Enjoy it!
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
OctoUser

Post by OctoUser »

I did not remove anything this time. I simply updated Ventura from Apples own suggestions. I pushed the update and restarted. And voilá MTP AV came up in Clockworks. MOTU and Apple seems to be “disconnected”. MOTU (I have a few other than my two MTP) don’t give a crap about us with older stuff. Well, I just bought ESI instead of MOTU. Just in case….
Last edited by OctoUser on Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael Canavan

Post by Michael Canavan »

OctoUser wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:23 pm What is “goalposts”? I did not remove anything this time. I simply updated Ventura from Apples own suggestions. I pushed the update and restarted. And voilá MTP AV came up in Clockworks. MOTU and Apple seems to be “disconnected”. MOTU (I have a few other than my two MTP) don’t give a crap about us with older stuff. Well, I just bought ESI instead of MOTU. Just in case….

No more MOTU in my studio, that is a fact.
I'm not necessarily a fan of depreciation, but a lot of times it can be because Mac OS stops supporting certain hardware configurations. NI had this happen with Kore and other older audio interfaces they made including all Rig Kontrols. Now of course this is partially because NI and MOTU are selling you mostly mid range gear. How many decades is it cost effective to support a maybe at most $350 MIDI interface you no longer sell?

RME for instance still support the Fireface 800, drivers are constantly being updated, I recently bought a power supply board from them and replaced it myself. The thing is the FF800 was a little under $3000 when it came out. All that said I bought a used Emagic Unitor 8 because apparently Apple is still rolling out drivers for it, but that's the always top five richest company in the world. I also only bought the Komplete Kontrol 88 mkII when I determined that it could be used as a controller without a MIDI driver, because NI don't have a good reputation for longevity of drivers.

ESI, we will see, will they last? who knows?
M2 Studio Ultra, RME Babyface FS, Slate Raven Mti2, NI SL88 MKII, Linnstrument, MPC Live II, Launchpad MK3. Hundreds of plug ins.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

OctoUser wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 12:23 pm I did not remove anything this time. I simply updated Ventura from Apples own suggestions.
That didn't work for those of us who had MOTU Audio or certain other 3rd party drivers installed. Worked fine over Ventura and updating to Sonoma did not work. We figured it out.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro