Motu M2 Problems on Windows

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
BatmansRevenge
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Motu M2 Problems on Windows

Post by BatmansRevenge »

Hello Guys

Motu M2
Firmware Version 2.04
Driver Version 4.0.9.2462

Issue
I use the audio interface Motu M2 on my work notebook Windows 10 22H2 Fujitsu Lifebook E5512 i5-1235U,16GB RAM,256GB NVME problems occur. The sound is distorted and the other people in the meeting sound like robots and the sound is also distorted.

Reproduce
I am in a Microsoft Teams or Zoom session with about 6 people without video. As soon as I open You Tube or another page in the browser. The sound is distorted, and the other people sound like robots. The problem occurs sporadically.
Troubleshooting
I have tried the latest driver MOTU M Series Installer (92368).exe and MOTU M Series Installer (92462).exe I have also worked through the troubleshooting on the motu page instructions. I play with the Sample Rate Hz 48000 Hz and buffer seats from 256 to 512 or higher. As soon as I uncheck "Use Lowest latency safety offsets" or "Sync Windows Sample rate to device" the sound is ok again and it takes a while until the error occurs again. I have updated the system drivers. I have now replaced all the affected cables.

Information
I previously used the PreSonus 24c and there were no problems. I only switched to the Motu because it's technically the better USB audio interface that can run my Beyerdynamic DT1990 better.

Have you ever had this problem

Thanks
CharlzS

Re: Motu M2 Problems on Windows

Post by CharlzS »

I haven't experienced this with my M4, but I've seen it in other posts/forums. Did you do the Disable Exclusive Mode thing in the USB troubleshooting? Also try setting all the bit depths and sample rates in the Sound Control Panel to match the settings for the M2. It sounds like something is changing those in the background, possibly the system audio. Any other audio apps in the background?
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
BatmansRevenge

Post by BatmansRevenge »

Hallo CharlzS,

thank your for your answer.

Did you do the Disable Exclusive Mode thing in the USB troubleshooting? Yes i disable it for all sound devices (In and Output)

I only work with 48000 hz and change the bitrates from 128 to 4096.
Which Hz number would you take?

In the background i have following programs: Discord, Global Protect VPN , Zoom, 1Password, Microsoft Teams, TeamViewer

The problem is most likely to be reproduced with Microsoft Teams. When I'm in a meeting tomorrow and everyone has the camera on and I'm using Chrome to open YouTube or Google.

Thanks
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

You have a lot going on in the background. I don't use Teams so I can't comment on that other than have you tried the different versions - Work School or Home? If Teams is running in the browser, that could be an issue. I am definitely not a fan.

OTT, open a ticket with MOTU tech support. They may have run across this one before. If they help out or you find a solution, please post the info back here.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
BatmansRevenge

Post by BatmansRevenge »

Hello, I have already opened a ticket with Motu and they want to exchange the device. Unfortunately, I bought the device second-hand without an invoice from a private seller. I suspect the exchange was refused because I don't have a valid proof of purchase and I have sent the request to our German distributor. I was hoping that someone here in the forum had already heard of this problem.
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

The intermittent nature makes me wonder if this isn't a bus power issue. The M2, it's a bit more power hungry than many other interfaces as some of us have observed. If you have it plugged in directly, try a powered USB-C hub in between the unit and your PC. If that doesn't fix you up…

Zoom for Windows does (or used to) rely on Loopback. This is different than the Mac. Zoom has changed so many things over the last four years that the old 3rd party tutorials may no longer be valid.

If you have a paid Zoom account, you should be able to get telephone support. If not, they still have a lot of documentation online that is updated regularly plus user groups etc. and can be emailed. I am fairly sure that, once you get going with Zoom, Teams should be less of a challenge.

Let us know what happens.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
BatmansRevenge

Post by BatmansRevenge »

Hello,
The Motu M2 is already powered by a USB HUB. I have repaired my Windows today with checkdisk and a repair installation.
Thank you very much, I will continue reading and report back to you when I am further along.