MOTU 624 - garbled audio

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
hammerman
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MOTU 624 - garbled audio

Post by hammerman »

I am having a problem. I usually only work in 44.1 kHZ but I have a project at 96kHZ. If I try to record any audio in any other sample frequency, I get glitchy, garbled audio. M2 Mac Studio Ultra, high. quality USB cable direct into Mac, latest DP, latest Sonoma, simple setup. I have tried everything: reboot, factory reset, checked Audio MIDI Setup, checked Sound Control Panel, Checked MOTU Pro Audio Setup, etc. 44.1 works perfectly, everything else - no go. If I have a project at 48k and import audio at 44.1 and convert, it plays back perfectly, This is only a problem when recording audio into DP.

I spent 1.5 hours with MOTU and they had me try everything as well with no luck.

Any ideas?

Merci.
M2 Mac Studio Ultra - 64 GB RAM - Sonoma - DP 11
hammerman

Re: MOTU 624 - garbled audio

Post by hammerman »

I did some more testing.

- Input does not matter on the 624.
- DP records 96k perfectly with 624 disconnected using Apple Studio Display microphone
- recording into iZotope RX with 624 at 96k is garbled and glitchy just like DP
- recording into RX with Apple Studio Display microphone at 96k is perfect
- no plug-ins in DP

There is a problem with the 624 and I think it is software, not hardware. 624 shows whatever sampling rate I choose, audio shows in and out on the meters on the unit. Audio MIDI Setup shows all the right info for the 624. Pro Audio Control shows all the right info as well.

I am using the USB3 to connect to my Mac. I assume that USB3 can handle all the sampling rates. I would need to invest in dongles and adaptors to try the old Thunderbolt connector on it.

Any ideas?
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

USB 3 can handle the sample rates, but so can USB 2. The cable used often comes up as the villain.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

I never track with RX in the signal chain, even bypassed. Try removing it for recording, then put it back for mixing and mastering.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:57 am I never track with RX in the signal chain, even bypassed. Try removing it for recording, then put it back for mixing and mastering.
I was trying RX as a standalone application to see if it was a DP bug or not. No plug-ins in DP at all.
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

bayswater wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 8:24 am USB 3 can handle the sample rates, but so can USB 2. The cable used often comes up as the villain.
Damn, you are right! It was the cable!

I had ordered a Cable Matters USB3 to USB-A cable and it works only at 44.1. Thanks Amazon.

Tried an older cable and perfecto at any sample rate.

Thanks!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ahhh... you had stepped into that hot mess known as USB 3 a collection of protocols not backward compatible with USB 2 unless the cable is designed to carry it, too. If 420Kbps is not listed in the specs, the cable doesn't support USB 2.

This is a big issue with offices which is why USB Printer Cables exist, supporting only USB 2/1.1 — Yamaha recommends using those so that there's no doubt they will work.

Many (most?) TB4/3 cables are incompatible with USB 2 but the one you got with your Studio Display is. This far less expensive USB 4 cable also works fine with the Studio Display and also supports USB 2.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BQ1 ... UTF8&psc=1

I was going to test and return it but decided to keep it in place and use the Apple TB4/3 cable to sync my iPhone 15 Pro Max to my M2 Studio (much, much faster than the Apple USB-C cable that came with the phone that supports USB 2 only).
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Feb 03, 2024 1:04 pm Ahhh... you had stepped into that hot mess known as USB 3 a collection of protocols not backward compatible with USB 2 unless the cable is designed to carry it, too. If 420Kbps is not listed in the specs, the cable doesn't support USB 2.

This is a big issue with offices which is why USB Printer Cables exist, supporting only USB 2/1.1 — Yamaha recommends using those so that there's no doubt they will work.

Many (most?) TB4/3 cables are incompatible with USB 2 but the one you got with your Studio Display is. This far less expensive USB 4 cable also works fine with the Studio Display and also supports USB 2.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BQ1 ... UTF8&psc=1

I was going to test and return it but decided to keep it in place and use the Apple TB4/3 cable to sync my iPhone 15 Pro Max to my M2 Studio (much, much faster than the Apple USB-C cable that came with the phone that supports USB 2 only).
Oh, man - this cable stuff is a mess! I got a USB-3 to USB-A cable that is supposed to handle 5Gbps. No go with the 624. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00C7 ... =UTF8&th=1

I had an old USB-2 cable (connector works with USB-3 ports) and it works perfectly. Go figure. I guess I have to try another cable from Amazon and see if it will work because I need 10 ft.
hammerman

Post by hammerman »

OK, it gets weirder.
I have a USB-C to 4 USB-A hub. If I plug the “defective” cable into the hub, perfect audio. Either USB-A port direct to the Mac does not work. Go figure!

So I have USB-3 from 624 to USB-A on the hub into a USB-C port on the Mac.