Can't freeze tracks, out of buses- but not really (SOLVED)

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Killahurts
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Can't freeze tracks, out of buses- but not really (SOLVED)

Post by Killahurts »

I have a big project where there were 24 stereo buses in the bundles, but I had used most of them up. I had bus 47/48 free though. I wanted to freeze several MIDI/Drum tracks, one at a time. DP said I could not freeze because there were not enough stereo buses available, I had "0", and it said to add more buses in the configure audio window. In that widow, my system was already set to 32 stereo buses. I had also added 8 more stereo buses in the bundles, to make it 32 stereo. I changed the settings back and forth. None of that makes any difference, I still get the same message box that I can't freeze, out of buses.

The odd thing is, I can select the output of the instrument I'm freezing and assign it to one of my new buses (49-64) and it plays through it just fine. What am I doing wrong here?
Last edited by Killahurts on Fri Feb 02, 2024 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
Killahurts

Re: Can't freeze tracks, out of buses- but not really (SOLVED)

Post by Killahurts »

Well it was user error. I had done a lot of freezing on this production, of FX etc. weeks ago, and I had forgotten to turn off the input buses on the frozen tracks. It makes sense- The track remains the freeze track and retains that bus assignment, until you unassigned it, so if you do multiple freezes across a track, it will not make a new frozen track each time.

Also, I observed that even after all the un-assigning, it still would not give me the bus to freeze the track, until I quit and restarted DP.
DP11, 2019 16-Core Mac Pro, Monterey, 64GB RAM. RME HDSPe MADI FX to SSL Alphalink to SSL Matrix console, and multiple digital sub consoles. UAD Quad PCIe. Outboard stuff.
James Steele
Site Administrator

Re: Can't freeze tracks, out of buses- but not really (SOLVED)

Post by James Steele »

WHEW!!! Glad you got it sorted!!!
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!