Bias Peak Vbox alternative

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pastiche27
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Bias Peak Vbox alternative

Post by pastiche27 »

For you other old-timers.

Does anyone else miss Bias-Peak audio editor? Do you remember the Vbox plugin that hosted AU and VSt plugins and you could arrange the plugins in a grid?
Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 9.56.32 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-04-10 at 9.56.32 AM.png (228.09 KiB) Viewed 763 times
I really enjoyed this workflow for creative SFX design. Does anyone know of a current alternative AU or VST plugin?

Sorry, this is not particularly DP related but the majority who used Peak were DP users.
mikehalloran

Re: Bias Peak Vbox alternative

Post by mikehalloran »

I suppose the correct category would be General Recording or General Macintosh.

Anyway, I remember VBox but never used it and have never seen a similar plug-in.

I don’t miss BIAS Studio at all but the couple thousand $ that I spent on the program and upgrades every time that Apple updated the OS—I wouldn’t mind having some of that back. After the collapse of BIAS, Antares offered me a free upgrade to the current version of Sound Soap and I didn’t bother. Other than that, my registration card let me save $50 on DSP-Q.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:19 am I suppose the correct category would be General Recording or General Macintosh.
It's kind of a grey area. I need to figure out what to do about that as I've done this myself. I need sort of a third party audio apps and plugins area. General Recording, if you look at the description is mic pres and hardware and that kind of thing. General Macintosh sort of feels like it should be OS troubleshooting or other Mac related stuff. I really need an non-MOTU Audio Software category I suppose.[/quote]
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

I'm pretty sure I've seen some modern alternatives but can't remember at the time precisely.

Off the top of my head it seems Plogue Bidule might fit the bill:

https://www.plogue.com/products/bidule.html

Actually maybe not, now that I look more closely. Can't really tell if this is more of a MIDI Tool.

You might take a look at Blue Cat Audio's PatchWork. I don't think they let you do a matrix like that, but you might be able to do similar routing within its GUI. Blue Cat has a lot of other powerful tools.

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
ghobish

Post by ghobish »

I remember VBOX. Used in quite a bit in those waning days of BIAS.

Waves' Studio Rack plug will now let you use third-party VST3 plugs in addition to it's own AU plugs within DP. The VST3 plugs available can be sorted by manufacturer, and it will do macros. StudioRack scans the VST3 folder, the VST3 plugs do not need to be examined/ activated in DP proper.
Gary Hobish
A. Hammer Mastering & Digital Media
San Francisco, Ca
http://ahammer.com/mastering

Mastering: Mac Studio M1 MAX 2TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 32-core GPU, OS 12.6; DP 11.22, Waves, Izotope RX10 Advanced, Alloy, Nectar, PSP stuff, Plug-In Alliance, Metric Halo ULN-8 MkIV, Euphonix MC Control & MC Mix, Presonus Central Station, and (still) no air conditioning (but at least now there is airflow)

Annex: Mac Pro 2010 5,1 3.33GHz 12-core, 80GB RAM, 10.14.6, DP 11.22, Metric Halo ULN8 MkIV, MOTU 2408III
mike_o

Post by mike_o »

This is as close as I've seen lately,

https://www.bluecataudio.com/Products/P ... PatchWork/
Mac Pro 2X Dual Core 2.66Ghz-10.4.9-7 GigRam-828MKII-MTPAV-Ultralight MK3-Digi Performer6.01-PeakPro5.1-Reason4-AbeltonLive6-Virus Rack(Red)-ReMOTE 25 & 37 SL-Nocturn-Stanton Dacratch-PluggoPack-DimensionLE W/EmuProteusPack-Sylenth1-Discovery MAC-MX4-Rapture-Alpha-Octopuss-Automat-Automat1-TALbassline-TALUno60
pastiche27

Post by pastiche27 »

ghobish wrote: Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:30 pm I remember VBOX. Used in quite a bit in those waning days of BIAS.

Waves' Studio Rack plug will now let you use third-party VST3 plugs in addition to it's own AU plugs within DP. The VST3 plugs available can be sorted by manufacturer, and it will do macros. StudioRack scans the VST3 folder, the VST3 plugs do not need to be examined/ activated in DP proper.
I subscribed to the Waves ultimate subscription and you are correct Waves Studio Rack is pretty close to VBOX with some very cool tricks up its sleeve. Not totally down with the "AI" suggestive assistance , but it is fun and educational seeing what other people's solutions are to the same "problem". As for the subscription price, it sure as hell beats buying the Mercury package outright, especially the EDU sub discount.