Can't record audio - must be missing something obvious!

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
csansom
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Can't record audio - must be missing something obvious!

Post by csansom »

CharlzS wrote: Wed Jan 24, 2024 10:47 am Shot in the dark - in the SE does it draw the waveform while recording and then when you hit stop it disappears? If so, check the View Filter to make sure Soundbites is checked.
No, there's no visual feedback at all. It behaves exactly as if I'd just hit Play and not Record.

Thanks for all your suggestions, folks. I'm not going to be responding for a day or so, as I'm having unpleasant things done to me in the local hospital tomorrow, but maybe I'll be up to a further look at this on Friday as I gradually recover.

Signing off for now!
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
csansom

Post by csansom »

OK, back on the case...

First a quick try again to see if it's the same and of course it is. So I decided to make a new project with just the Flute VI, record the short phrase to MIDI, then record that to audio. That, at least, was the plan, but...

Quit DP and launched again from scratch, then clicked the New button on the project selection screen. Selected a location and clicked go, then it all went south...

There was the usual delay until it came to opening a window, whereupon all I got was a menu bar and a ghostly outline of a window. Clicking anything in the menu bar gave me a similarly ghostly outline of a menu. Clearly I couldn't quit that way, so I force quit. Happened several times, including when I selected a different drive for the new project.

So this must all stem from some issue with my DP installation, no? Downloaded a fresh installer from motu.com, and part way through the Writing Files stage the installation failed. Ran Disk utility on the boot drive (where the DP application lives) and that failed while inspecting snapshot 3. Nothing for it then but a cold restart. Ran Disk Utility again and the drive came up clean. Tried the new DP installation again with the same result as before. So...

Unless anyone here has any more suggestions it's time to send a report to motu support... then wait... and meanwhile I'll get on with working on the fairly sizeable score in Finale.
iMac Pro (2017), macOS 12.7.2 Monterey, MOTU M4, Adam A7 monitors, DP 11.3 94678, Finale 27.4.1, VIs from NI, SampleModeling, AudioModeling, Spitfire, Soniccouture, IK, UVI, Modartt, etc. Studiologic acuna88 keyboard
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Ugh!! I feel for you. I really do. That kind of stuff is stressful.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
csansom

Post by csansom »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:59 am Ugh!! I feel for you. I really do. That kind of stuff is stressful.
Thanks so much for your sympathy, stubbsonic. Not only is it stressful, it's the most monumental waste of %^&*ing time!

Anyway, much to my surprise I got a reply from motu support within about half an hour! It was to the effect that there are compatibility issues between DP10 and Mac OS Monterey and I should upgrade to DP11 (although I was and still am sceptical DP11 offers anything useful to me over what DP10 had). So that's a quick $195. But that's only the start...

Now that I could open a new empty project (yes DP11 does have that over DP10!), I found I could do what I was trying to do using a different VI (Modartt’s Pianoteq, which I always update scrupulously). I'm willing to bet though that I'd have been able to do that in DP10 had it occurred to me to try! Anyway, that made me realise my AudioModeling woodwinds were way out of date, and a further, even swifter, €468 updated all the AudioModeling woodwinds and saxes. And yes, I can now record the flute as intended - which I'll get down to tomorrow!

A costly little fix, but I got there in the end.

Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, and let this be a lesson to us all to keep our software up to date!
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

csansom wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:24 am Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, and let this be a lesson to us all to keep our software up to date!
Or don't. I'm torn on this. On one hand, I want to keep updating my Mac OS, on the other, every time I do, some fresh hell opens up. $#!+ breaks, and complications swirl.

I'm tempted to update from Monterey to Sonoma and just take my lumps. And there'll be a fresh round of new features I don't care about, and old darlings I must say goodbye to.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

bayswater

Post by bayswater »

stubbsonic wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:30 pm
csansom wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 10:24 am Thanks everyone for your helpful suggestions, and let this be a lesson to us all to keep our software up to date!
Or don't. I'm torn on this. On one hand, I want to keep updating my Mac OS, on the other, every time I do, some fresh hell opens up. $#!+ breaks, and complications swirl.

I'm tempted to update from Monterey to Sonoma and just take my lumps. And there'll be a fresh round of new features I don't care about, and old darlings I must say goodbye to.
I got over this temptation. Once, each version of Mac OS as better faster and cheaper than the last one. I don't think that has been true for a very long time.

The only thing I use that doesn't work on 10.14 (the original OS on my main Mac) is the newer versions of Logic. There are dozens of things I use that don't work much past 10.15. So for me, the conclusion is obvious.

This forum is full of threads about people trying to get their hardware and software to work with a new OS version. Some have new Macs that won't run an old OS, but for the rest, I can't see any reason to update the OS, and lots of reasons not to.

Apple doesn't help. Their QA process is clearly broken. Take as an example, the iOS 17.2 update that broke AirPrint. No one tested that? Then there was the CoreAudio update associated with an OS update that broke Logic AudioUnits. Hard to imagine even the much maligned Microsoft doing something like that.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
csansom

Post by csansom »

I'm not getting into the argument about upgrading, Just the main topic of the thread...

I spoke too @£%^ing soon!

DP and the Vis are all up to date now, and I thought I'd fixed the problem when I could finally make a new project, record a bit of MIDI, then record that to audio...

But I still can’t do this in the project I'm actually working on, and I cannot see why! It's obviously something I've got wrong, although as far as I can tell I've set it up exactly like the test project.

Just as before, if I hit record it behaves exactly as if I'd hit play: the meters respond, it plays back perfectly, but just doesn't record - no wave form appears in the track.

So... any further suggestions?
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

It is not uncommon for a project to become corrupted in some very insidious way.

You can try creating a new project, and then using File Menu/Load... to import the chunk(s) from your current project. Note the various options for what to include in the load/import. Might be a good idea to leave unchecked as many items as possible- so you minimize the chance of bringing the infected bit into your current project.

This process should be harmless to your existing project.

CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

Maybe check in bundles (shift-U) to make sure they're configured properly, reselect the I/O for each track, try a different bus number between tracks , , , ???
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
csansom

Post by csansom »

And the winner is... stubbsonic. At least, so far.

I've made a new project and loaded only the basic sequence with all the MIDI data. I can reconstruct my V-Rack quite simply and easily, but I've started by just loading the Flute VI and have successfully recorded the same phrase (the first thing the flute plays) to an audio track - yay! I didn’t actually know about the ability to load selectively from one project to another like this - very helpful indeed.

Thank you so much for this wisdom, although I will say I was starting to suspect some sort of corruption because since opening the original project in the updated DP I was getting some weirdness going on: stuck notes (one of the most infuriating problems of all!), graphic displays of continuous data in the sequence editor going crazy, etc. But knowing about the Load command makes all the difference.
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Wooo-HOOOO!!! Thanks for following up. Very satisfying.

csansom

Post by csansom »

stubbsonic wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 11:33 am Wooo-HOOOO!!! Thanks for following up. Very satisfying.
Yes indeed! However, I'd forgotten some aspects when I said rebuilding the V-Rack would be easy. It actually took some time, and lots of screenshots from the original setup, but I got there in the end. (I did also try a separate new project, loading the sequence chunk and the V-Rack from the original and ran into trouble straight away, so the V-Rack was definitely the culprit and had to be rebuilt willy nilly.)

Anyway, I have now committed all the MIDI tracks to audio and am all set up to get mixing at last. Phew! That Load command was definitely the answer and is now engraved on my memory!

Thanks again to everyone who has chimed in on this thread, which I think - repeat, I think - I can now safely close.