New 828 (2024), garbled noise and firmware update error, completely useless unit?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. with Windows
Rob Ainscough
Primary DAW OS: Windows

New 828 (2024), garbled noise and firmware update error, completely useless unit?

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I have opened a ticket with MOTU support, but thought I'd try here.

Connected the USB-C cable MOTU provided to my PC USB-C port.

I installed the drivers (95029).

I plugged in my 828.

I powered on my 828.

Checked Win11 sound settings default to MOTU.

Tried to play some audio and the sound was horrible, distorted, garbled noise. I brought up the MOTU Updater app (see image of error) and tried to update the firmware and just got an error and now the front display on the MOTU is perminantly stuck with a blue screen and "Update...". I unplugged the device, powered down and left it for 5 minutes without power. Plugged back in and powered it up and same blue screen with "Update"?

Tried the following with NO success:

1. Power down MOTU 828 and power back up, still problem

2. Uninstalled and re-installed the latest drivers (95029), still problem

3. Tried a different USB-C cable, still same problem.

To be noted: I had removed my MOTU M6 and uninstalled the MOTU M6 drivers/software ... the MOTU 828 was going to replace my MOTU M6.
ErrorFirmware1.jpg
ErrorFirmware1.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 765 times
IMG_9147.jpg
IMG_9147.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 765 times
My brand new 828 seems to be bricked at this point.

Rob
HCMarkus
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: New 828 (2024), garbled noise and firmware update error, completely useless unit?

Post by HCMarkus »

I'm sure MOTU will assist you and get you a replacement should the unit itself be defective. Definitely an issue for them to resolve with you.
Rob Ainscough

Re: New 828 (2024), garbled noise and firmware update error, completely useless unit?

Post by Rob Ainscough »

I got it working with a different USB-C cable and direct plug into my PC USB-C port.

However, it will NOT work if I plug into my USB-C hub. This is going to present a problem as I have only ONE USB-C port on my PC and I need to have other devices (Blackmagic Design panels for use in DaVinci Resolve). I also have no additional PCIe slots so I can't add a separate PCIe USB-C card.

I'm going to try a USB-C to USB 3.0 adapter and plug that into PC and see if that works for the 828.

The really odd part, my MOTU M6 worked fine from my USB-C hub, but not this new 828.

The new 828 sounds VERY good and my intent is to do 5.1 Dolby and 7.1.4 Atmos work with it but if push comes to shove 15K of BMD gear will stay and the 828 will go. Fingers crossed MOTU have a solution for this ...
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

USB C to USB A cable should do the job.
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

USB C to USB A cable should do the job.
I tried that, unfortunately that didn't help, doesn't even see the 828 when I try that approach.

BUT, I did find that I do actually have TWO USB-C ports from my motherboard not just one. So I have my USB-C hub in one port and the 828 direct to the other port. Tested all my BMD hardware along with MOTU 828 and some test videos/audio tracks and all was working well.

I still hope MOTU get back to me with my support ticket, but I'd like to know why the 828 can't work with the USB-C hub yet my M6 has no problem with exact same USB-C hub?

Cheers, Rob.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

It appears that you have stepped into that hot mess known as USB-C. Not all cable and hubs support all possible protocols. You have to read the specs on every piece of gear and cable to make sure that you are getting what you need. Most USB-C Thunderbolt cables do not support USB 2 (the current Apple does, however).

The biggest misconception is that USB 3 of any kind is backward compatible with USB 2. The protocols are different. Many hubs do not support the same protocols at all ports while others do.

The new 828 supports USB 2 audio which is the standard for both Mac and Windows (if it didn't, it couldn't be used with an iPad). The cable you used does or it would not have worked.

AV and video over USB-C is even more of a mess than audio. Thunserbolt 2/3/4 cables rarely support HDMI, DP or MDP but inexpensive USB-C cables exist that do support these protocols—marketing departments call them "Thunderbolt compatible" when, in fact, they absolutely do not support Thunderbolt.

It's so bad that offices buy "USB Printer Cables" that support USB 2/1.1 and nothing else—they come in all combinations of USB-A/B/C plugs. Yamaha recommends these for connecting their keyboards etc., not because nothing else will work but because there's no question that these will.

Fun, huh?
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rob Ainscough

Post by Rob Ainscough »

Hi Mike,

You forgot the charging capacity also 60W, 100W, 120W ... yes it's a big mess.

But what I found odd is that my MOTU M6 worked just fine with my USB-C HUB, the 828 does not.

This is the hub I'm using:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BND ... =UTF8&th=1

The new 828 indicates support for USB3 and USB2 via the USB-C port.

I'm happy to buy another USB-C hub, but which one WILL (100% positive) work with the 828? Recommendations?

FYI, Motu support did get back to me which is great, lets see if they can come up with some solutions.

On a side note, this 828 sounds amazing, such incredibly clean audio both headphones and TRS out and in.

Cheers, Rob.