MIDI Note Off Not Registering - RESOLVED

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
westlake79
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

MIDI Note Off Not Registering - RESOLVED

Post by westlake79 »

Interesting little glitch. When sequencing MIDI, one specific key (C#2) is not recording a note off.

I can play the sample, and when I release the key the sample stops playing but the "note off" message is not recorded into the sequence. At the end of a take I'll get a big long MIDI note on C#2.

This is only in DP, I can't replicate in other sequencers. Any ideas welcome!
DP 11.21
VEPro 7.3.3440
MacPro 28-core
OSX 10.15.7
stubbsonic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: MIDI Note Off Not Registering

Post by stubbsonic »

We were just talking about some occasional situation where a MIDI note is assigned to trigger a COMMAND (in the COMMANDS list). In this case, I wonder if somehow the note OFF has been assigned as a command.

A quick way to check this theory is to open then COMMANDS window and turn off the MASTER MASTER and see if that issue persists. If not, then you can try to find what COMMAND has that C# note off assigned. Then just delete the assignment.

I'm grabbing at straws, but hopefully it's simple like that.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
westlake79
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by westlake79 »

Nice one, that worked!
DP 11.21
VEPro 7.3.3440
MacPro 28-core
OSX 10.15.7
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Were you able to find out which COMMAND had that assignment?

Here's a trick you can use to find it.

1. Choose another command, maybe in the transport section. Maybe "Record" is a good one.

2. Have your MIDI controller ready.

3. First play that C#2 note and keep holding it down...

4. Now click on the field to enter your MIDI event, (it is now listening) now let go of the C#2. You should get a C#2 with an up-arrow.

5. Because DP will warn you if you have entered a COMMAND trigger that has already been used, it should bring up a window telling you where it is used.

6. Now you can remove it from Record and wherever else it was reported just by clicking and deleting.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

Helen

Post by Helen »

stubbsonic wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:15 pm We were just talking about some occasional situation where a MIDI note is assigned to trigger a COMMAND (in the COMMANDS list). In this case, I wonder if somehow the note OFF has been assigned as a command.

A quick way to check this theory is to open then COMMANDS window and turn off the MASTER MASTER and see if that issue persists. If not, then you can try to find what COMMAND has that C# note off assigned. Then just delete the assignment.

I'm grabbing at straws, but hopefully it's simple like that.
Oh, thank you for mentioning your discussion. I would love to see that thread, where is it? DP has been driving me nuts with random changes to the COMMANDS. I use Metasystem, and stuff just stops working, frequently. Gah.

-Helen
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Helen wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:25 pm Oh, thank you for mentioning your discussion. I would love to see that thread, where is it? DP has been driving me nuts with random changes to the COMMANDS. I use Metasystem, and stuff just stops working, frequently. Gah.
Here are a couple...

viewtopic.php?t=73821

viewtopic.php?t=72824

Helen

Post by Helen »

stubbsonic wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 7:22 pm
Here are a couple...

viewtopic.php?t=73821

viewtopic.php?t=72824
Thank you!

I must be leaving the COMMANDS window open far too much then. It's been a real bugaboo for me. At least I have a plan for avoiding it in the future: Close the darn window!
Mac Pro Rack 7,1 3.2 Ghz 16-core, OS 11.6.1, 192GB ram
MOTU 828es, DP 11.02, Altiverb, Kontakt 6, VEPro
This job is fun, this job is fun....
stubbsonic

Re: MIDI Note Off Not Registering - RESOLVED

Post by stubbsonic »

Yea, I only open the COMMANDS window when I need to be reminded of some shortcut key-combination. Of course you don't need it to be open in order to use commands.

I don't use MIDI events to trigger commands because I haven't needed to. I used to use it for remote functions stop/rewind/record, etc. But these days I just reach over to the QWERTY keyboard. I suppose I can use a USB extention and move the kbd closer to my MIDI controller keyboard.