Meters

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
James Steele
Site Administrator
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Meters

Post by James Steele »

Lo' and behold the VST3 version of bx_meter was even worse! Note that the highest MAX% number is reached while DP11 is idling and not playing back. I've noticed with a lot of plugs they starting spiking when DP is not playing back. When DP is playing they settle down a bit, but I can playback and watch bx_meter fluctuate between roughly 3% and 6% AVE. Not so great.
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

HCMarkus mentioned WLM Plus.... I have that one and as you can see with screenshot below. It's well behaved. I even let DP idle for a while and you can see the MAX% never went above 3.37. So Waves did it right apparently. I have some other meters, including one by Blue Cat Audio that I like. I should test that sometime.

wlmplus.jpg
wlmplus.jpg (37.38 KiB) Viewed 376 times
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I noticed that K-Meter uses a lot of CPU too. Perhaps these meters do some sort of forward and backward scanning to compute parameters needed to conform to broadcast standards. Either way, I guess I’ll go back to using the old Sonalskis meter that worked fine here for many years.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dix

Post by dix »

iZotope's InSight 2 also uses more resources than I'd expect. Bayswater may be right. There may be more going on with accurate metering than I realize. In many cases FabFilter's Pro-L2 has all the metering I need.
14-inch MBP M1 Max (2021), 13.6.x, 64GB RAM, UAD Quad Tb Satellite, 4 displays ::: 2009 4,1 > 5,1 MacPro 12-core 3.33 ghz , 10.14.x, 96GB RAM, GeForce GTX 770 , NewerTech eSATA/USB3 PCIe Host Adapter, UAD-2 Quad, ::: 15-inch MBP (2015) 10.14.x, 16GB RAM ::: Lynx Aurora (n) USB ::: DP (latest version), Vienna Ensemble Pro danwool.com
labman
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

Post by labman »

Dunno if it will help, but we keep all our meters on a 'meter aux' fed by meter sends. Similar to our old analog meters that were isolated from signal path. And from latency type stuff. The output of that aux is to a dummy buss, and is automated be permanently muted. (just in case someone does something wicked. LOL) And we have built in sends to the meter buss across template. If we need others we just option drag one to where we need it.
AMPGUI themes - Andy rocks!, 3 macs, MacPro 768GB ram, 16core OS11.7.10, DP11.31, all Waves, all SLATE, PSP, IK multimedia & Audioease plugs, all PAlliance, Softube, tons of NI VI's all air Spitfire, all Audiobro, all Berlin, EW PLAY, LLizard, MachFive3, Kontakt5, Omnisphere, RMX, LASS, all Soundtoys, Lexicon AU's, melodyne and others I know am forgetting, cause I'm old...Also mucho outboard rigs, MTPs, DTP, antelope WC, and 4 control surfaces with Raven.
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

labman wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 5:13 am Dunno if it will help, but we keep all our meters on a 'meter aux' fed by meter sends. Similar to our old analog meters that were isolated from signal path. And from latency type stuff. The output of that aux is to a dummy buss, and is automated be permanently muted. (just in case someone does something wicked. LOL) And we have built in sends to the meter buss across template. If we need others we just option drag one to where we need it.
Thanks for that idea. I never thought of that. Will try it out whether it saves CPU or not.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8