validated plugins not showing up in effects browser

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

validated plugins not showing up in effects browser

Post by dewdman42 »

I have a few plugins that have passed validation and are checked/enable for use, but they do not show up in either the instrument or fix browser. I can't seem to find any way to insert them into a track. Anyone have any idea why this might be or is it a bug of some kind?
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
bayswater

Re: validated plugins not showing up in effects browser

Post by bayswater »

I’ve had that happen, but the villain was Logic, not DP. And aren’t there some plugins that have an entry in the plugin folder and are seen by the system, but only show up in a DAW as an option or section in another plugin? I think some Waves Abbey Road stuff works that way.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

In this case they show up in dp’s preferences list of plugins, they pass examination and I have the check box check to enable them for use, but they do not show up in the effects browser window so that I can actually use them. Something is amis in dp. Just wondering how to fix it. It is affecting several plugins that I know of
James Steele
Site Administrator

Post by James Steele »

dewdman42 wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 9:22 am In this case they show up in dp’s preferences list of plugins, they pass examination and I have the check box check to enable them for use, but they do not show up in the effects browser window so that I can actually use them. Something is amis in dp. Just wondering how to fix it. It is affecting several plugins that I know of
Which plugins? If I have any of them I can check on my system. Although I'm on Apple Silicon. After squinting at your very small signature with a small grey font on grey background, I figured out you're on Intel? :wink:
JamesSteeleProject.com | Facebook | Instagram | Twitter

Mac Studio M1 Max, 64GB/2TB, MacOS 14.5 Public Beta, DP 11.31, MOTU 828es, MOTU 24Ai, MOTU MIDI Express XT, UAD-2 TB3 Satellite OCTO, Console 1 Mk2, Avid S3, NI Komplete Kontrol S88 Mk2, Red Type B, Millennia HV-3C, Warm Audio WA-2A, AudioScape 76F, Dean guitars, Marshall amps, etc., etc.!
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

No idea if this is the issue or not.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore),
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

hehe I'll update my sig.

Yes intel. Several plugins from MusicDevelopments (maker of Rapidcomposer), Melodya and MidiMutator.

Then I just found another freebie one which I can send to you to try and see if it behaves the same for you. Just trying to get to the bottom of why this is happening, I don't know if there are others doin git, I have 1000 plugins, so eventually I might find another one or two, but anyway would be nice to see if this is a bug that MOTU needs to address or not but need more info.

Try the VST3 in this zip: https://github.com/capnspacehook/Foresi ... -macOS.zip
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

the above is intel though....so may be completely different on your Apple Silicon machine and rosetta or whatever
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

One theory I have right now is that these are MIDI plugins, meaning they might be coded with audio inputs/outputs, only MIDI. But they are compiled as FX plugins. And I think that might be why DP is hiding them from the effects browser...Cubase is able to use them, but it seems DP can only deal with plugins that have MIDI in/out if and when its an instrument plugin. And since the plugins don't even have audio in/out ports built into themselves...DP doesn't even show it maybe? I can't think of any other reason, but that is what these plugins have in common, they are MIDI plugins, but compiled as FX rather than as INST...which like I said...works in Cubase...but apparently can't work in DP. Just guessing out loud now... But any other ideas welcome.
mrgkeys

Post by mrgkeys »

you'd be using VST3 in Cubase but the AU in DP? Plugins that have a MIDI input as well like vocoders, won't work in DP as AUs, you'd have to use the VST3 version, which you can, once you enable the VST3 plugins ( I do this with the Arturia Vocoder). Also maybe they are stereo only plugins and you're trying to use them on mono tracks? Also if they AUv3, they won't work in DP. I have some of those for Logic.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I don’t think you are understanding the problem
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

mrgkeys wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:56 pm you'd be using VST3 in Cubase but the AU in DP? Plugins that have a MIDI input as well like vocoders, won't work in DP as AUs, you'd have to use the VST3 version, which you can, once you enable the VST3 plugins ( I do this with the Arturia Vocoder). Also maybe they are stereo only plugins and you're trying to use them on mono tracks? Also if they AUv3, they won't work in DP. I have some of those for Logic.
I've instantiated the AU version of the Arturia Vocoder in DP... as you note, you can't access the MIDI input, but it still opened for me. VST3 for that and ARA plugins, for sure!

Stereo and mono incompatibility is a good thought.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31