Problem with MAC port on the back of the MIDI Timepiece AV

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
nedpaul
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Problem with MAC port on the back of the MIDI Timepiece AV

Post by nedpaul »

I am using a pre-USB MIDI Timepiece AV. I recently moved and when reconnecting all my hardware, I discovered that the 8-pin cable-connection on the back of the MTP (from my Mac computer to the MTP) is a little funky. Like it needs to be jiggled to function properly. I don't believe it's a cable issue. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, and if so, what the remedy might be....(?). Is the machine toast, or can this be repaired / made stable?
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: Problem with MAC port on the back of the MIDI Timepiece AV

Post by mikehalloran »

nedpaul wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 12:28 pm I am using a pre-USB MIDI Timepiece AV. I recently moved and when reconnecting all my hardware, I discovered that the 8-pin cable-connection on the back of the MTP (from my Mac computer to the MTP) is a little funky. Like it needs to be jiggled to function properly. I don't believe it's a cable issue. I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar issue, and if so, what the remedy might be....(?). Is the machine toast, or can this be repaired / made stable?
I happen to have my MTP AV USB sitting on my desk so I pulled the two cover screws to see…

The Serial Mini DIN 8 jacks for the RS-422 circuit are soldered directly to the motherboard. The Mac is the one on the right. You'll have to pull the motherboard out to see the pin layout.

You might get lucky and see a cracked solder joint. More likely is that the plastic itself has taken a hit from a bumped plug and that you'll need a new jack. Mouser would be the place I would look.

Other than that, non-functioning units can be had for very little,
Attachments
IMG_4023.jpeg
IMG_4023.jpeg (2.16 MiB) Viewed 224 times
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro