Recomendations for a good accordion or concertina VI?

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dustcoversmyheels
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Recomendations for a good accordion or concertina VI?

Post by dustcoversmyheels »

i want to add an accordion and a concertina to my orchestral repertoire. any suggestions?
macbook 2.2GHz with 1 GB RAM running osx 10.5.8, mac pro 2 x 2.66 GHz dual-Core Intel Xeon with 2 gigs of ram running osx 10.4.11, DP 7.01, Motu 896 (1st generation), API A2D, Isochrone OCX, UAD
mhschmieder

Re: Recomendations for a good accordion or concertina VI?

Post by mhschmieder »

If you do a forum search, you'll find this very topic covered just a few weeks ago in depth.

The recommendation is for the new Best Service Accordions library, which is extremely comprehensive in its coverage of different categories of accordions, and which has an amazing level of control and expression (including the degree of bellows shake, just added for free in the latest update, and used in my most recent project to great effect!).
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

There's some in the QL Gypsy (along with a killer violin) and I've also found this:
http://www.bestservice.de/found.asp/acc ... ordions/en
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
mhschmieder

Post by mhschmieder »

Someone who's less lazy than I am can point to the earlier topic from SEP/OCT if they care to. :-)

I have used every accordion source that I know of in virtual land, including FM-based, PM-based, and sample-based. Nothing comes remotely close to Best Service Accordions for realism, depth, and expression, as well as breadth of coverage.

On the other hand, Nusofting Peti has a lot of character, and in a pop/rock piece, its edgier sound, while less realistic, is also very full (a problem in non rock music, and even some rock music, as it can dominate the mix).

Peti is FM-based and for the longest time I thought it didn't have any presets, because they are all named "Default" in the drop-list. :-) By the time I noticed they were unique presets, I had already made several of my own, but the ones that come with it are extremely diverse and well-programmed. But what a devil trying to select the right one!

Peti is flexible enough to model Harmoniums, Accordions, Farfisa Organs (Nusofting's ComboSister also covers Farfisas and is PM-based vs. FM-based, but its forte is the Vox Continental, Gibson Kalamazoo, Elka, etc.). And also Harmonicas (more specifically Chromatic Harmonicas).

I have personally found the Best Service Accordions to cover Gypsy music a bit better than EWQL Gypsy, but one can never have too many accordions, and I'll eventually use those in a project as well, when I need the specific timbre of the one they sampled. It isn't nearly as deep or expressive though; nor are the ones from PMI, SampleTekk, Precisionsound, etc.
iMac 27" 2017 Quad-Core Intel i5 (3.8 GHz, 64 GB), OSX 13.6.6, MOTU DP 11.31, iZotope RX 10
RME Babyface Pro FS, Radial JDV Mk5, Hammond XK-4, Moog Voyager

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35
Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, Johhny Marr Jaguar, 57 LP, Danelectro 12
Eastman T486RB, T64/V, Ibanez PM2, D'angelico Deluxe SS Bari, EXL1
Guild Bari, 1512 12-string, M20, Martin OM28VTS, Larivee 0040MH
FutureLegends

Post by FutureLegends »

Off topic:
If anyone know a good REAL accordion player in Stockholm, please let me know! Need one for my band... ;-)
Hackintosh 6-Core 3.7ghz/32gb ram, macOS Mojave
Hardware: Apollo 8, Apollo 8p, Apollo Twin mkII, MOTU 828mk3 & Original 828 | UA LA-610 | Vanguard V13 Tube Mic | MindPrint En-Voice | Genelec M040AM | Gretsch Guitars & Drums
Software: DP8 | FCPX | Logic Pro X | Play
| EWQL Gypsy, Choirs, Orchestra Gold, VoP | EZDrummer w/ Twizted Kit | Action Strings
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Since someone took the trouble to reanimate this zombie (2009), I'll chime in that I really like the Vintage Accordion for iOS from Apesoft (and P-Sound). They make a Mac version which for the holidays was on sale for 49 euro, but is now back up to 99.

https://www.psound.it/vintage_accordion.html

The sell a few other flavors of squeeze boxes as well.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:34 am Since someone took the trouble to reanimate this zombie (2009) …
:rofl:

I use the accordions and from IKM's Total Studio. Since that package includes so many VIs, I have no idea which level of SampleTank includes what. NI and UVI have a bunch as well. Since all three are European companies, this is no surprise.

IK Multimedia's Alternate Keys is $9.99 and includes a few. SampleTank 4 is free when you download the CS version.

https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/s ... _form_area
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro