pregen start delay

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
dewdman42
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

pregen start delay

Post by dewdman42 »

I have been using DP11 with VePro most of the time up until now, but recently I have been trying to see if I can switch to just using v-racks and came up with a new thing that has me baffled, wondering if this is normal behavior or buggy or what?

basically when i previously used vePro, Pregen was not happening, because vePro is forced to realtime mode. However, now that I have without VePro, hoping to use Pregen and keep it all more simple in DP Vracks, I have a situation where as soon as i turn off the record button on any given track, that allegedly turns on pregen for that track. As soon as I have one or more tracks that click into pregen mode...there is an awful 3 second wait every time I hit the play button before it will actually start playing. I hit play, it freezes the screen for 2-3 seconds (and I'm not exaggerating, that is how long it is, and seems like forever, until if finally starts playing). If I engage Live Mode, then all pregen is turned off and everything responds just as I would expect, hit play and it starts playing. except then I'm not getting any pregen advantage.

So with pregen enabled...is that normal that we have to wait 3 seconds between hitting the play button and actually hearing it play? If so I find that intolerable and almost useless. I cannot sit and wait 3 seconds every time I hit play.

or is there something amis with my setup or system or perhaps a bug in DP that would cause it take so long to respond to PLAY?

this happens for me even with a barebones simple new project with only one instrument track, no fx and just a few bars of MIDI on it.

Any thoughts, experiences welcome.
5,1 MacPro 3.46ghz x 12 cores,96gb, Monterey (OpenCore), Lynx AES16e-50+X32
HCMarkus

Re: pregen start delay

Post by HCMarkus »

That's not right.

With my M1 Mac Studio, responsiveness is essentially the same with Pre-Gen on or off.

Unfortunately, I have no suggestions as to how your situation might be rectified. Are you still running the Cheesegrater? Might want to search then posts; I have some recollection of a similar issue being discussed here a couple of years back...

Noting your other post re: missing plugins, maybe a DP reinstall is in the cards for you.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

we'll its good to hear that the behavior I am experiencing is not the normal expected behavior... some kind of buggy behavior thought. How to get rid of it here is the question. I have already tried things like rescanning all my plugins and reinstalling the app.
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

I will try reinstall again....
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

That was painful. DP's plugin scanner sucks. Hours lost. However...pregen is working right now after completely removing all MOTU related files form my computer, and reinstalling DP11. So there you go... thanks for the tip to try that. Though...I just have to say...the plugin scanner freaking sucks. I always forget how bad it is until I have to basically do what I had to do today and lose way too many hours.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

dewdman42 wrote: Sat Jan 13, 2024 6:10 pm pregen is working right now after completely removing all MOTU related files form my computer, and reinstalling DP11.
Noice!
apanacci

Post by apanacci »

Hey all is there a way to shut off Pregen in DP 11 ?
2009 8 Core 5.1, 2012 6 Core MacPro,s , (32 gigs Ram) Mojave 14.6, Radeon 570, MacBookPros 2011, 2017 , 828MKIII Hybrid, 828X, MicroBook II, 8Pre, Nuendo 8ch A/D converter, PreSonus DigiMax LT ,DP11 , PT 2022.12, Cubase Elements 10.5, Peak 7, Logic 9 ,WaveLab 11, Reason 10, DSP-Quattro 5 ,many plugins , mics and synths. http://www.panaccimusic.com
dewdman42

Post by dewdman42 »

Live Performance mode.