Higher than expected latency with Ultralite MK5 on M3 Pro MacBook Pro

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
aflynt
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Higher than expected latency with Ultralite MK5 on M3 Pro MacBook Pro

Post by aflynt »

I've recently upgraded my machine to an M3 Pro MacBook Pro, and I'm getting higher latency numbers that I would have thought using my UltraLite MK5. I tested this using the RTL Utility app. I'm consistently getting about 6.56ms latency at 48,000 Hz sample rate, 16 samples buffer size. For frame of reference, I'm getting about 1.125ms using my Presonus Quantum 2 on the same machine with the same settings. I do have the latest MOTU drivers installed. Is it possible that the drivers just aren't optimized for the new M3 chips?

-Aaron
mikehalloran

Re: Higher than expected latency with Ultralite MK5 on M3 Pro MacBook Pro

Post by mikehalloran »

The only published spec from MOTU is 2.4 ms RTL@32/96 kHz with the Drivers installed. The difference between the MOTU driver and Core Audio is about the same as moving your ears about 14" closer to or further away from your monitor speakers.

The 16/48 RTL spec is not published but your measurement pushes those speakers about 18" further away.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

I'm getting 5.854ms RTL on the Ultralite MK5 @32/96k, which is over double the published spec. Just wondering if this is what I should expect out of this interface or if the drivers are just unoptimized for the new Apple M3 Pro chip. It seems quite a bit higher than it should be if the spec is accurate to real world. My Presonus Quantum 2 does just under 1ms RTL on the same machine @32/96k, which matches their published spec, but at half the sample rate and buffer size (64/192k).

-Aaron
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

I'd initiate a MOTU.com TechLink and see what MOTU has to say about it.
aflynt

Post by aflynt »

I contacted MOTU. It was a situation where the drivers appeared to be installed but weren't loading. I deleted the driver extension app, restarted, reinstalled and allowed the extension to run and. Now I'm getting 2.240ms RTL @32/96k, which is actually better than expected. :D

-Aaron
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

aflynt wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:59 pm I contacted MOTU. It was a situation where the drivers appeared to be installed but weren't loading. I deleted the driver extension app, restarted, reinstalled and allowed the extension to run and. Now I'm getting 2.240ms RTL @32/96k, which is actually better than expected. :D

-Aaron
MOTU was telling me today that there are occasional issues with drivers loading correctly over Apple Silicon and Ventura/Sonoma but they know how to get them resolved.. Good to see that you got it resolved.

There are Apple security issues that are not addressed in the MOTU documentation. I hope that they update it soon.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.5 b4, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro