828es inserts accessible via DAW?

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
Discussion related to installation, configuration and use of MOTU hardware such as MIDI interfaces, audio interfaces, etc. for Mac OSX
archetypemusic
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

828es inserts accessible via DAW?

Post by archetypemusic »

Hey Everyone.

I'm interested in getting an 828es - if I can find one - and I thought that the inserts were an interesting feature (I'm coming from a 2408mk3). The manual says that they are accessible when inserting inputs into the mic pres but that's all there is about them. My question is: can the inserts be accessed by my DAW i.e can I send audio from my DAW to a hardware compressor that is connected to the insert? I see no mention of this and I don't see it in the routing matrix either (as far as I can tell).

FYI, my over all game plan is to AVB a 16A to the 828es...I think that would be sweet.

Thanks,

AM
Motu 2408mk3, 24i/o, Mac Pro 5.1 2010, High Sierra, Apple Logic, Harrison Mixbus,
mothra

Re: 828es inserts accessible via DAW?

Post by mothra »

Nope. They cut the signal going into the interface completely and 'send it out'. If you use the sends, you need to return it using another analog input and capture it that way.
M2 Pro Mini, macOS 14, MOTU 828x/Ferrofish Pulse 16, Cubase Pro/MPC
archetypemusic

Post by archetypemusic »

Thanks for the response Mothra.

So, with nothing inserted into the mic pres (1/4" or xlr) the inserts still aren't visible to my DAW, correct?

AM
Motu 2408mk3, 24i/o, Mac Pro 5.1 2010, High Sierra, Apple Logic, Harrison Mixbus,
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

The inserts are Preamp Out for the Mic Inputs. Entirely analog. You will never "see" them in your DAW.

With nothing inserted in the Preamp Out jacks, they route to Mic 1 and 2 digital Sources. So you are essentially seeing Preamp Outs 1 and 2 on Mic 1 and 2 in your DAW.

Look at the 828ES block diagram at the end of the manual if this is still unclear.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
archetypemusic

Post by archetypemusic »

Got it HC. Thanks for the clarification.

AM