MacOS error: Unexpected error (-2009)

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
ed belknap
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

MacOS error: Unexpected error (-2009)

Post by ed belknap »

Anyone ever encounter this alert when trying to import an audio file into the Soundbites window of a project?

"Digital Performer has encountered an error

MacOS error:
Unexpected error (-2009)
"

It's happened to me with three or four different audio files, all MP3s that I ripped from youtube videos using the Media Human app.

However, it has not happened with every MP3 that I ripped from youtube videos using the Media Human app, just the most recent 3 or 4.

It's pretty hard to find info online about what a "-2009" error code means; I found one site that claimed it could be related to iTunes (which I suppose might make sense since these are MP3 files) and another site claimed it indicated an issue with USB drives or cables (which only made sense the first couple times when I tried importing the MP3 files from a USB thumb drive...but I've subsequently loaded the files onto an internal disc drive and tried importing from there, and still get the same error code.)

Any ideas? Thanks.
mikehalloran

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected error (-2009)

Post by mikehalloran »

The mp3 spec covers 153 variations of sample rate and bit depth x2 for joint stereo x2 more for VBR. That's 612 possibilities (don't make me post the screen shots that prove this). This doesn't count protected files — and those aren't supposed to open in DP at all.

There's a workaround for everything, of course. You just have to find the one(s) that work.

Start by opening those mp3s in QuickTime to see if you can do so without an iTunes error. If you can, then export to .wav or .aif and see if those will drop in. You are expanding a compressed file without making DP do the conversion.

If you do get an iTunes error, there are ways to get around Apple's copy protection but fidelity is not going to be the highest priority.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
ed belknap

Re: MacOS error: Unexpected error (-2009)

Post by ed belknap »

mikehalloran wrote: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:16 pmStart by opening those mp3s in QuickTime to see if you can do so without an iTunes error. If you can, then export to .wav or .aif and see if those will drop in. You are expanding a compressed file without making DP do the conversion.
Ooh, good idea, thanks! I'll let y'all know if that succeeds.