SE single lane data editing and viewing behavior

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
pencilina
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

SE single lane data editing and viewing behavior

Post by pencilina »

I think this came up in another thread which I can’t find. Is there any way to view multiple date types/lines (Eg. volume, pan and plugin LP freq) in one SE lane and use the blue check box to set the edit focus (as in previous versions)? And what happened to clicking on the bar at the top of a soundbite to set the lane back to soundbite editing? Maybe the default settings changed or something but I can’t find the settings and I’m getting annoyed with all the extra clicking I have to do. The manual still shows multiple data types in one lane in several illustrations so I would imagine this behaviors is still available. Thanks in advance.
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
pencilina

Re: SE single lane data editing and viewing behavior

Post by pencilina »

Crickets....

I guess I should assume theres no way to view multiple data types in a single lane in the sequence window anymore?
Latest DP, Gigabyte Designaire z390 i9 Hackintosh 32G Ram, Lucid ADA88192, RME FF800 and FF802 on M1 MPB, Ventura, and a Pencilina
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I don’t recall ever using that once lanes were introduced so I wouldn’t notice a change.

To see multiple data types in v11.3 appears to require multiple lanes, You can get one type of non note or audio data to show up, but as you say the manual implies you can see multiple types.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

No lanes open, just the main track in the SE - If you change the track header to anything other than Soundbites (ie to Volume) in the SE, you're not seeing all the lanes together over the greyed out soundbite? You'll only be able to edit the one you selected, but they should all be there. When displaying the Soundbite that's all you'll see. Also, single click on the soundbite title bar returns to the Soundbite view here. May be something in Preferences, but quick look and I didn't see anything.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I didn’t find anything in Prefs or setting either. I do recall some screen that showed multiple data types. Maybe it wasn’t the Sequence. Anyway, it would be way to busy for me to want to use.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

CharlzS wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 8:02 am No lanes open, just the main track in the SE - If you change the track header to anything other than Soundbites (ie to Volume) in the SE, you're not seeing all the lanes together over the greyed out soundbite?
Hi Charlzs,

That’s correct. Additionally, in any other lave view then soundbites only the lasso is available and I’m unable to switch back to soundbite view clicking on the bar on the top of soundbites.
CharlzS
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Post by CharlzS »

In the View Menu, have you selected 'Show Only the Active Edit Type'? Uncheck that and/or play with the view filter for edit types. I also learned something I never knew before - If there are automation points for any other type than the one you are viewing in the SE track, you can click on one and it will automatically change the view to that type for editing.

The lasso thing in any other than soundbites is all I've seen. If you get right on the automation line/data it should turn into a hand. Pencil should work too.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
bayswater

Post by bayswater »

I noticed that if you have a lane open for a data type, that one doesn’t show up superimposed on the Soundbyte view of the track. If you have lanes for all the data types, none of them show up. If you close all the lanes, they all show up on the Soundbyte view. (As long as the View option mentioned above is properly set).

So you can close all the data lanes and edit everything in the main track view, or use the lanes, but not both. Is this new? I don’t remember it being like this in earlier versions.
pencilina

Post by pencilina »

CharlzS wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 8:48 am In the View Menu, have you selected 'Show Only the Active Edit Type'?
That was the ticket! Thanks my man.