"File Not Found (-43)"

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
bayswater
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: "File Not Found (-43)"

Post by bayswater »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:23 pm
bayswater wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:07 am
Does that mean, as far as you know, macOS 12.6 will record snapshots on other volumes on the same disk? E.g., if you have a 10.14 and at 12.6 startup volume on one internal SSD, when 12.6 is running it will create snapshots of the 10.14 volume?
I finally have an answer.
——
I have not tried a System Restore but I now know that it can be done.
Thanks Mike. That’s pretty much the setup I want, but using 12.6 for newer apps (still too much that won’t run on Venture) and keeping 10.14 going for older apps I have to keep using. At this point, only the Mojave startup uses TimeMachine and I manually copy any documents to the backup drive.

The next puzzle is what happens if I tell the 12.6 partition to use my 8T spinner backup drive for TM. My understanding is that 12.6, unlike 10.14 will not give the option to leave the backup drive as HFS and will force it to APS. From what I’ve read, this drive will not perform well if formatted as APS.
2018 Mini i7 32G 10.14.6, DP 11.3, Mixbus 9, Logic 10.5, Scarlett 18i8
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

bayswater wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 8:35 am
mikehalloran wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 4:23 pm
bayswater wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 8:07 am
Does that mean, as far as you know, macOS 12.6 will record snapshots on other volumes on the same disk? E.g., if you have a 10.14 and at 12.6 startup volume on one internal SSD, when 12.6 is running it will create snapshots of the 10.14 volume?
I finally have an answer.
——
I have not tried a System Restore but I now know that it can be done.
Thanks Mike. That’s pretty much the setup I want, but using 12.6 for newer apps (still too much that won’t run on Venture) and keeping 10.14 going for older apps I have to keep using. At this point, only the Mojave startup uses TimeMachine and I manually copy any documents to the backup drive.

The next puzzle is what happens if I tell the 12.6 partition to use my 8T spinner backup drive for TM. My understanding is that 12.6, unlike 10.14 will not give the option to leave the backup drive as HFS and will force it to APS. From what I’ve read, this drive will not perform well if formatted as APS.
TM drives since Monterey are APFS. Apple recommends HDDs and I'm have no problem with any of mine ranging from 6–14TB.

I'm lousy with 2012 MBPs around here at the moment. Mine is running Catalina and one of the ones I'm working on is over Monterey — both are backed up to one of my drives. The one running Monterey only uses half of the 128GB drive I installed so I did a full System Restore (not APFS Snapshot) just to test this — worked great. This MBP is one of the ones I'm incorporating into the newer one running Ventura.

After I get my new AS Mac, I'll probably reformat the 2T SSD in my MBP to Mojave for the rare occasions I need to use Encore. I am not going to keep my iMac Pro for that one use and have lost confidence that Don Williams's planned upgrade to Encore 6 will ever happen.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
daniel.sneed

Post by daniel.sneed »

I just set a new 4Tb HD for Time Machine and boot drive clone.
This new HD is APFS for both volumes.
The previous was APFS for TM only (the boot drive clone was not).
Now, when DP is running, no more “File not found (-43)“ when TM is backing up.
Back to work!
dAn Shakin' all over! :unicorn:
DP11.31, OS12.7.4, MacBookPro-i7-3.1Ghz-16GoRam-1ToSSD
Falcon, Kontakt, Ozone, RX, Unisum & Michelangelo, LX480
Waldorf Iridium & STVC & Blofeld, Kemper Profiler Stage, EWIusb, Studiologic VMK, ControlPad
JBL4326+4312sub, Behringer X32rack
Many mics, mandolins, banjos, guitars, flutes, melodions, xylos, kalimbas...
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

daniel.sneed wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2023 2:04 pm I just set a new 4Tb HD for Time Machine and boot drive clone.
This new HD is APFS for both volumes.
The previous was APFS for TM only (the boot drive clone was not).
Now, when DP is running, no more “File not found (-43)“ when TM is backing up.
Back to work!
None of that explains why I was getting it since everything has been APFS since Monterey. OTOH, it was a much bigger issue for me in DP 10 and it’s been a few months since I’ve seen it in DP 11.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FWIW: Since this original post, I have turned off automatic Time Machine backups on my studio Mac and have gotten in the habit of starting a TM backup after I finish for the day.

The other day, I started a TM backup and then re-opened a DP project to check something… same behavior: when I went to save (and NOT "Save As…) it would not save in the original project. The only way to save my work was to create a new DP project.

So, in my experience, this is still an issue.
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Rick Cornish wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:00 pm FWIW: Since this original post, I have turned off automatic Time Machine backups on my studio Mac and have gotten in the habit of starting a TM backup after I finish for the day.

The other day, I started a TM backup and then re-opened a DP project to check something… same behavior: when I went to save (and NOT "Save As…) it would not save in the original project. The only way to save my work was to create a new DP project.

Did you check the box Copy Audio? If so, it should have cautioned you that it would overwrite when you navigated back to the Project directory. Click Yes and it will overwrite and you will not lose any work.

AutoSave is the culprit—I have been able to demonstrate this to MOTU who told me that it was Time Machine based on your comments. If that was true, it would affect everyone but it doesn't.

Unfortunately, now that I have Activity Monitor on whenever DP is running, I've not experienced this again. I have no doubt it's a conflict. I'd love to find out with what but it has to act up when I'm looking.
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 3:08 pm
Rick Cornish wrote: Wed Jul 26, 2023 2:00 pm FWIW: Since this original post, I have turned off automatic Time Machine backups on my studio Mac and have gotten in the habit of starting a TM backup after I finish for the day.

Did you check the box Copy Audio? If so, it should have cautioned you that it would overwrite when you navigated back to the Project directory. Click Yes and it will overwrite and you will not lose any work.

AutoSave is the culprit—I have been able to demonstrate this to MOTU who told me that it was Time Machine based on your comments. If that was true, it would affect everyone but it doesn't.

Unfortunately, now that I have Activity Monitor on whenever DP is running, I've not experienced this again. I have no doubt it's a conflict. I'd love to find out with what but it has to act up when I'm looking.
Thanks, Mike. Interesting to know that I'm now famous with MOTU tech support! :unicorn:

I'm too nervous about losing a track to overwrite a project that way. For now, I'm OK with limping along the way I've been doing it. Hopefully, it'll get fixed somewhere along the line one way or the other (like when I migrate to an AS machine).
Rick Cornish

DP 11 on M2 Mac Studio (64mB mem. + 2tB int. SSD + two 2tB ext. SSDs, and Mac OS Sonoma). VIs from MOTU, Spectrasonics, NI, UVI, 8dio, Soniccouture, East West, Spitfire, Heavyocity, Vir2, and more; plus Waves 14, Brainworx, iZotope, Wavesfactory, Oeksound, Final Mix, JST, SPL, PSP, UVI, Valhalla DSP, and other FX plugs, Roland A-88, Apogee Quartet, iCON Platform Nano, Genelec 1032a and Westlake BBSM4 monitors, Gibson HR Fusion III. rickcornish.net
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

Happened a lot this weekend, multiple times a complete freeze requiring force quit, wouldn't save. Occasionally it went away and I could continue.

Every time I had a look and it was always at the end of an automatic time machine backup. TM is a USB3 Samsung T7 APFS volume. Maybe not related, but.....

ALSO - my working audio project folder is EXCLUDED from TM backups, and is on the internal Studio drive.

Corresponding PITA: autosave has been intermittent for me in dp11. It's semi-random, and sometimes it just stops saving altogether. I've got it set for 1 minute, and if I toggle it on/off it'll do 1 minute again for a short while.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
EMRR

Post by EMRR »

2 months later, still doing manual TM backups, not one (-43) since.
Doug Williams
Electromagnetic Radiation Recorders
The Martha Bassett Show broadcast mixer
Tape Op issue 73

DP 11.31
Studio M1 Max OS12.7.3
MOTU 16A and Monitor 8
M1 Pro MBP for remotes and editing
Rick Cornish

Post by Rick Cornish »

FWIW: I just wanted to post that this issue—which had led me to do manual Time Machine backups on my Intel system—has not appeared since migrating to DP11.3 on Sonoma on my new Mac Studio.

EDIT:
OK—hold on, this may be back.
Rick Cornish