Pitch-adjusting (tuning) a polyphonic stereo audio track

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on Windows.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [Windows] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
PEvans
Primary DAW OS: Windows

Pitch-adjusting (tuning) a polyphonic stereo audio track

Post by PEvans »

Is there a feature in Digital Performer (or Performer Lite for Windows in my case) that would allow me to adjust the pitch of an imported stereo track?

Here are some particulars if it matters:

The original track is originally analog-recorded, converted to digital, imported into iTunes as *.m4a, and imported (dragged) into a Digital Performer project. My purpose is to use this as a guide track for recording additional instruments. It will not be part of the final mix.

To my ear the imported recording is a little sharp relative to instruments tuned to A=440 - almost but not quite a half step. It is possible I have the key wrong, but I don't think so. It is tough to play with this guide track in its present state.

I probably can't and don't really want to edit components of the original audio track. I just want to shift the pitch of the whole thing while retaining the tempo and timbre.

I have seen the "Few questions on soundbite editing..." thread.
CharlzS

Re: Pitch-adjusting (tuning) a polyphonic stereo audio track

Post by CharlzS »

Track Transpose and Detune. If you can't see it on a track in the SE, drag the track size bigger until it's displayed.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Post by mikehalloran »

ZTX can be used to tune an entire track but I use that to change keys.

Edit: Melodyne Essentials can tune an entire track but Editor or Studio is required for individual notes. As it's not included in PL, I'll leave it at that.
Last edited by mikehalloran on Sun Dec 31, 2023 6:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

DP's ZTX will work great to retune the track; you can incrementally adjust... import the track, use the Sequence Editor window to display it, view the Pitch Layer and set to "Relative", then drag the pitch line, holding the Command Key as you do so if necessary. Zoom in to get finer control.

Melodyne is necessary only if you need to tune individual notes within a chord.
HC Markus
M1 Mac Studio Ultra • 64GB RAM • 828es • macOS 13.6.4 • DP 11.31
PEvans

Post by PEvans »

Thanks very much!

I found Track Transpose and Track Detune the Sequence Editor and in the user guide (and I found the user guide!), and I found Melodyne on the web.

Mike, I don't see Melodyne in the PL plug-ins. I'm running PL 11.22.
PEvans

Post by PEvans »

@HCMarkus, I just saw your post. Thank you as well!

If I don't have Melodyne it looks like I can retune the track using Track Transpose. It seems to be pretty close to a half step sharp. The Tuner plug-in insert seems fairly happy.
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Melodyne Essentials is included with DP 11 and a number of iZotope (Nectar) and other plug-ins. Many of us have it in more than one place, whether we know it or not.
PEvans wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:30 am
Mike, I don't see Melodyne in the PL plug-ins. I'm running PL 11.22.
Unfortunately, you are correct. I see that the PL Plug-ins Guide has been updated and no longer mentions this. When it comes to the PL User and Plug-ins guides, I'm a frequent flyer trying to get MOTU to correct all the mistakes. Let's just say that there's more work to be done.

Since I have Melodyne Studio installed, it shows up in my list. Sorry for any confusion.
HCMarkus wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:24 am DP's ZTX will work great to retune the track; you can incrementally adjust... import the track, use the Sequence Editor window to display it, view the Pitch Layer and set to "Relative", then drag the pitch line, holding the Command Key as you do so if necessary. Zoom in to get finer control.

Melodyne is necessary only if you need to tune individual notes within a chord.
Yes, I find Melodyne faster for my use but either works fine for what you want to do. To move individual notes inside a track—tuning or pitch—you do want Melodyne. I also have the Autotune suite but would never use it for this.
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

PEvans wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 11:50 am @HCMarkus, I just saw your post. Thank you as well!

If I don't have Melodyne it looks like I can retune the track using Track Transpose. It seems to be pretty close to a half step sharp. The Tuner plug-in insert seems fairly happy.
I'd still use the pitch layer and be sure to select the best ZTX algorithm for the subject material. You can get the tuning perfect, not just pretty close!
PEvans

Post by PEvans »

HCMarkus wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:37 pm
I'd still use the pitch layer and be sure to select the best ZTX algorithm for the subject material. You can get the tuning perfect, not just pretty close!
How would you check to see if the tuning is "perfect"? Is there a way to grab a note in the track and sustain it? Would you use an audible output and an external tuner like Peterson? Would you use the internal tuner insert?

I don't strictly need this to be perfect, but I would like to know how it can be done.
CharlzS

Post by CharlzS »

Something I haven't tried on complex material but may work to get things right is Pitch Quantize. Something to experiment with - after setting all the ZTX params, make a selection in the Pitch lane and then menu Audio --> Pitch and Stretch --> Pitch Quantize. Not even sure that's available in Lite.
DP 11.31 PT 2024.3 VEP 7.x with various VIs
NI Komplete Audio 6 on HP Envy 8G i7 Quad Laptop Win11
MOTU 828es ADA8200 MTP-AV on HP Z2 G4 Xeon Workstation Win11
MOTU M4 on MacBook Air M2 2023 Sonoma.4.1
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

CharlzS wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:59 pm Something I haven't tried on complex material but may work to get things right is Pitch Quantize. Something to experiment with - after setting all the ZTX params, make a selection in the Pitch lane and then menu Audio --> Pitch and Stretch --> Pitch Quantize. Not even sure that's available in Lite.
Unfortunately, this is one more area where the PL documentation falls short. The PL Plug-Ins Guide actually refers to the DP 4 manual for more information on ZTX. That's not as bad as it looks, however, since the PL User Guide appears to have the info you need and appears to be identical to the DP User Guide re ZTX. Both are available from the Help Menu and can be searched like any other pdf file.

For more info on Melodyne, I've posted in this thread.
viewtopic.php?t=73755
PEvans

Post by PEvans »

Thank you all for your help. This got me through a blocker in my basic use case and hopefully created some material for future searchers.
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

PEvans wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 2:35 pm
HCMarkus wrote: Sun Dec 31, 2023 1:37 pm
How would you check to see if the tuning is "perfect"? Is there a way to grab a note in the track and sustain it? Would you use an audible output and an external tuner like Peterson? Would you use the internal tuner insert?

I don't strictly need this to be perfect, but I would like to know how it can be done.
Reference a well-tuned instrument, play along and adjust pitch until it sounds sweet. When it sounds perfect, it is perfect.

I just hate to see you be strictly limited to "pretty close" 1/2 step intervals. A little nudge flat or sharp can make a huge difference.