DP11 playlist for live gigs?

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
uncle dunc
Primary DAW OS: Unspecified

DP11 playlist for live gigs?

Post by uncle dunc »

For a one-man band gig, I used to trigger live MIDI accompaniment with a Win 98 laptop using Cakewalk's playlist function - while one song is playing, use the up or down keys to scroll to another song and have it ready to trigger when the current song finishes. Can DP11's playlist function handle 200 to 300 MIDI chunks, and can chunk selection be accessed via keystrokes on the Mac keyboard while the current chunk is playing? thx
zounds
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Re: DP11 playlist for live gigs?

Post by zounds »

Yes and yes.

Can DP11's playlist function handle 200 to 300 MIDI chunks

Yes with one caveat. DP has to load any chunk instantiated plug-in before it can play the chunk. This causes a delay in triggering the chunk that is dependent on the amount of time it takes to load plugins. If possible load your MIDI instruments in VRacks. When you do that, they are always loaded, and load time for chunks is significantly decreased.

can chunk selection be accessed via keystrokes on the Mac keyboard while the current chunk is playing?

Every chunk created adds a corresponding command in the Commands window (Shift L). You can go into Commands and assign keyboard shortcuts, MIDI triggers, etc.
uncle dunc

Post by uncle dunc »

Thanks for the reply. On chunk selection, if I have, lets say, 150 chunks, assigning a key stroke to each chunk could get cumbersome after running through the alphabet one time.

I'm unclear on navigating the playlist. From what I've seen on Youtube, the list could hold maybe 50 songs before it would require using the scroll wheel to see the next 50. If that's the case, I suspect I could just use the chunk window in DP10.
uncle dunc

Post by uncle dunc »

Just checked in the DP10 Commands window. The list of chunks available for a keystroke assignment ends at #48, even though there were more chunks in the chunks window. Theoretically, I suppose one could create 3 separate DP files, one for each set on a 3-hour gig, and give the 48 songs most likely to be played in that set keystroke assignments, with the rest of the songs at the bottom of the list, to be accessed via scrolling and mouse clicks.