Remote Collaboration - Sharing Performer Lite Projects

Discussion of Digital Performer use, optimization, tips and techniques on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for most discussion related to the use and optimization of Digital Performer [MacOS] and plug-ins as well as tips and techniques. It is NOT for troubleshooting technical issues, complaints, feature requests, or "Comparative DAW 101."
Pablo13
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

Remote Collaboration - Sharing Performer Lite Projects

Post by Pablo13 »

Hi, I'm going to be collaborating with another musician in the near future. They also have Performer Lite but are located in another part of the UK. I was wondering how would be the best way to share a project between us?

We don't need to access the project at the same time as we would be taking turns to record our contributions (possibly multiple times adding more instrumentation along the way). Then one person would mix what we've got and then pass that on to the other to refine and so on.

When using an application like, for example Adobe InDesign, you can save a project as a package and send that to someone else and that file includes all the associated elements within the bundle when they open it. I can't see any similar feature available in Performer Lite. Therefore, I'd be interested in knowing how other users deal with this kind of working scenario.

Thank you.
Saxplayerz

Re: Remote Collaboration - Sharing Performer Lite Projects

Post by Saxplayerz »

Maybe Dropbox a folder and use sync
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Pablo13 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 3:19 am Hi, I'm going to be collaborating with another musician in the near future. They also have Performer Lite but are located in another part of the UK. I was wondering how would be the best way to share a project between us?

We don't need to access the project at the same time as we would be taking turns to record our contributions (possibly multiple times adding more instrumentation along the way). Then one person would mix what we've got and then pass that on to the other to refine and so on.

When using an application like, for example Adobe InDesign, you can save a project as a package and send that to someone else and that file includes all the associated elements within the bundle when they open it. I can't see any similar feature available in Performer Lite. Therefore, I'd be interested in knowing how other users deal with this kind of working scenario.

Thank you.
If your internet connection is robust. Dropbox works quite fine. Two people cannot have the same project open at the same time. That’s how I collaborate with some of my users. None have 3rd party VIs which makes it much easier.

I open and save the projects in Digital Performer; they work in PL.
Saxplayerz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:59 am Maybe Dropbox a folder and use sync
Doesn’t matter if macOS 12.3 or later.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Pablo13

Post by Pablo13 »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:29 am

If your internet connection is robust. Dropbox works quite fine. Two people cannot have the same project open at the same time. That’s how I collaborate with some of my users. None have 3rd party VIs which makes it much easier.

I open and save the projects in Digital Performer; they work in PL.
Saxplayerz wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 7:59 am Maybe Dropbox a folder and use sync
Doesn’t matter if macOS 12.3 or later.
Thank you, that's helpful.

Do you initially work/save locally then copy it all across to Dropbox? Or are you saying that with decent broadband (which I have), you can work/save directly to Dropbox?
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Pablo13 wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:53 am

Thank you, that's helpful.

Do you initially work/save locally then copy it all across to Dropbox? Or are you saying that with decent broadband (which I have), you can work/save directly to Dropbox?
Create the project locally. When you are at a stopping point, move the Project Folder to Dropbox and share. The file now stays there till everyone is done.

All users must have their own copies of Performer Lite installed—PL verifies the license over the web every time it launches. As I mentioned, DP works, too as long as you do not exceed PL's track (16/16/16) and functionality limitations. I can use the Waveform Editor in DP and PL can view the result. It actually works pretty well over the cloud but many functions are slow.

Since Monterey 12.3, your Dropbox files stay in the cloud. This is not an option. You may store local copies on your System drive (and only your System drive) by enabling (you'll see how in the dropdown menu). With that, you can open the local copy and it syncs automatically whenever your internet connection is good enough. This only works if you have enough space on the System drive, otherwise you are working directly on the file in the cloud.

The local copies will be found under Locations sidebar. All files will be seen there but only those with green checks are available offline on your Mac (remember that they are copies). Files without checks are in the cloud only. Working on offline copies can be a lot faster as you can imagine. Again, only one User at a time can work the file.

Do not try to move the local copies to another location or off your System drive or this will not work. (iCloud and Apple Pictures works the same now as do many other cloud services).
Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 11.20.44 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 11.20.44 AM.png (682.09 KiB) Viewed 332 times

Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 11.35.29 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-27 at 11.35.29 AM.png (294.22 KiB) Viewed 332 times
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Pablo13

Post by Pablo13 »

mikehalloran wrote: Wed Dec 27, 2023 11:37 am
Create the project locally. When you are at a stopping point, move the Project Folder to Dropbox and share. The file now stays there till everyone is done.

All users must have their own copies of Performer Lite installed—PL verifies the license over the web every time it launches. As I mentioned, DP works, too as long as you do not exceed PL's track (16/16/16) and functionality limitations. I can use the Waveform Editor in DP and PL can view the result. It actually works pretty well over the cloud but many functions are slow.

Since Monterey 12.3, your Dropbox files stay in the cloud. This is not an option. You may store local copies on your System drive (and only your System drive) by enabling (you'll see how in the dropdown menu). With that, you can open the local copy and it syncs automatically whenever your internet connection is good enough. This only works if you have enough space on the System drive, otherwise you are working directly on the file in the cloud.

The local copies will be found under Locations sidebar. All files will be seen there but only those with green checks are available offline on your Mac (remember that they are copies). Files without checks are in the cloud only. Working on offline copies can be a lot faster as you can imagine. Again, only one User at a time can work the file.

Do not try to move the local copies to another location or off your System drive or this will not work. (iCloud and Apple Pictures works the same now as do many other cloud services).

Thank you for such a comprehensive response - very much appreciated. I'm not starting the collaboration just yet but if I have any further queries, I will certainly return here. Thank you again!