My Digital Performer is not working well

For seeking technical help with Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS.

Moderator: James Steele

Forum rules
This forum is for seeking solutions to technical problems involving Digital Performer and/or plug-ins on MacOS, as well as feature requests, criticisms, comparison to other DAWs.
Ervasio
Primary DAW OS: MacOS

My Digital Performer is not working well

Post by Ervasio »

https://youtu.be/OKHpR3VY3W4

Hi, I uploaded this video to show you my problems with DP on CPU usage. I loaded Kontakt 7 with a fairly simple NI library and wrote some notes. DP starts to fail, creating CPU spikes. It's a problem I have with other VIs and plugins too. I've already tried starting DP with the SHIFT key or starting the Mac in safe mode. Nothing has changed. I finally uninstalled DP and tried to reinstall it but this resulted in me having to completely reset the computer because it was no longer reading many of my plugins, despite me re-examining the error plugins several times. I would like to know if you also have similar problems. I have a m1pro mbp, 16GB ram with Ventura installed
stubbsonic

Re: My Digital Performer is not working well

Post by stubbsonic »

Which version of Kontakt 7? There were recent problems that were resolved with a later update of Kontakt 7.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
HCMarkus

Post by HCMarkus »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:36 am Which version of Kontakt 7? There were recent problems that were resolved with a later update of Kontakt 7.
Good catch, Stubbs! Could well be the issue.
Ervasio

Post by Ervasio »

The version installed was the latest. The CPU spikes came after I installed Minecraft on my computer :lol:
Ervasio

Post by Ervasio »

stubbsonic wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 8:36 am Which version of Kontakt 7? There were recent problems that were resolved with a later update of Kontakt 7.
The version installed was the latest. The CPU spikes came after I installed Minecraft on my computer :lol:
stubbsonic

Post by stubbsonic »

Every version is the latest version at some point in time. :)

NI did release that update in fairly short succession after the effed up one. But we'll take your word for it.

It's scary when an unrelated installation seems to break other things.
M1 MBP; OS 12, FF800, DP 11.3, Kontakt 7, Reaktor 6, PC3K7, K2661S, iPad6, Godin XTSA, Two Ibanez 5 string basses (1 fretted, 1 fretless), FM3, SY-1000, etc.

http://www.jonstubbsmusic.com
Ervasio

Post by Ervasio »

It is the latest version available. I reset the computer and installed native access and then Kontakt, finally DP.
Ervasio

Post by Ervasio »

I did it this morning too
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ervasio wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:58 am I did it this morning too
I find that the latest version of Kontakt verifies only after I shut down and reboot. I've noticed that on 4 different Macs over the last 7 years or so.

If you haven't cleared your VI caches recently (or ever), do so. Unlike System caches, Users caches are not cleared by a Safe Boot.
To delete the VI caches, open the following folder;

/Users/(account name)/Library/Preferences/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem/

Delete these files (you may not have all of them): Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit, VST3 Info Cache v2 and VST Info Cache 64-bit. Remove the 32 bit versions also.

When I did this, I also found AudioDesk caches going back to the 1990s in there.

Reboot. When you relaunch DP, these caches will rebuild and your plug-ins will re-verify.
This has fixed a lot of issues for many of us on the Mac. It's now in my Things to do once a year list.
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Ervasio

Post by Ervasio »

mikehalloran wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 12:54 pm
Ervasio wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:58 am I did it this morning too
I find that the latest version of Kontakt verifies only after I shut down and reboot. I've noticed that on 4 different Macs over the last 7 years or so.

If you haven't cleared your VI caches recently (or ever), do so. Unlike System caches, Users caches are not cleared by a Safe Boot.
To delete the VI caches, open the following folder;

/Users/(account name)/Library/Preferences/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem/

Delete these files (you may not have all of them): Audio Unit Info Cache 64-bit, VST3 Info Cache v2 and VST Info Cache 64-bit. Remove the 32 bit versions also.

When I did this, I also found AudioDesk caches going back to the 1990s in there.

Reboot. When you relaunch DP, these caches will rebuild and your plug-ins will re-verify.
This has fixed a lot of issues for many of us on the Mac. It's now in my Things to do once a year list.
Hi, the installed version of Kontakt is 7.7.3. I deleted the VST3 Cache file in the /Users/(account name)/Library/Preferences/com.motu.MotuAudioSystem folder. Now DP doesn't read Kontakt vst3
mikehalloran

Post by mikehalloran »

Ervasio wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:14 am . Now DP doesn't read Kontakt vst3
Did you shut down and reboot as I mentioned earlier? A simple reboot doesn't do it with Kontakt.

If you've done that and Kontakt still doesn't load, Open Preferences/Settings, select Kontakt under VST3
Attachments
Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 7.38.26 AM.png
Screenshot 2023-12-25 at 7.38.26 AM.png (203.33 KiB) Viewed 2602 times
DP 11.31; 828mkII FW, micro lite, M4, MTP/AV USB Firmware 2.0.1
2023 Mac Studio M2 8TB, 192GB RAM, OS Sonoma 14.4.1, USB4 8TB external, M-Audio AIR 192|14, Mackie ProFxv3 6/10/12; 2012 MBPs Catalina, Mojave
IK-NI-Izotope-PSP-Garritan-Antares, LogicPro X, Finale 27.4, Dorico 5.2, Notion 6, Overture 5, TwistedWave, DSP-Q 5, SmartScore64 Pro, Toast 20 Pro
Ervasio

Post by Ervasio »

mikehalloran wrote: Mon Dec 25, 2023 7:41 am
Ervasio wrote: Sat Dec 23, 2023 1:14 am . Now DP doesn't read Kontakt vst3
Did you shut down and reboot as I mentioned earlier? A simple reboot doesn't do it with Kontakt.

If you've done that and Kontakt still doesn't load, Open Preferences/Settings, select Kontakt under VST3
Hello Mike. Yes, I did a reboot putting the Mac in safe mode to rebuild the caches. Kontakt VST3 is still not accepted. I also gave both Kontakt and DP full access to the disk (on an article on the NI forum it was recommended to do this action) but I still get the error from DP that it cannot be accepted. In the AU version I don't have this problem.